Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loading Windows 10 on new SSD

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 smkulczyk

smkulczyk

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:02 AM

I recently got a 120gb ssd with a sector size of 4k to run windows and a few games. Currently I am using a 1TB HDD with a sector size of 512. When I try to clone from the HDD I cannot because it says the sector sizes are not the same. I then tried the windows ISO boot using a USB. Once I get windows started, its says my SSD is not compatible...Attached File  IMG_7222.JPG   157.24KB   0 downloads

I have tried multiple things and cannot get it to work. If anyone has encountered this problem please let me know. Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 18 March 2018 - 12:05 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win 10 Spt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 936 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:09 AM

Macrium Reflect will allow you to adjust the partition size so your o.s. will fit on the SSD if you going to clone your platter drive to the SSD.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

If your doing a new install, then do not attempt to manually set the partition sizes, Let windows 10 do what it needs and install 10 on the largest partition available. (disconnect the 1tb drive when doing a new install)

If your partition in your pic is 100.2gb then it is not possible to have 46gb free space with a 120 gb ssd. Something is funky with that

Edited by Joe C, 18 March 2018 - 11:19 AM.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:15 AM

You will definitely need to transition to the new 4k sector size because that old 512 mb sector size dates back to before 2009. Now is a good time to start moving your hardware into the 21st Century.

https://www.seagate.com/tech-insights/advanced-format-4k-sector-hard-drives-master-ti/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:42 AM

Follow the below BC guide. What is the make and model of the computer. That would determine if you need to use the convert gpt or convert mbr command in the guide. Curious as to what the make and model number of the SSD is.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

Does this SSD have a OS on it? You only have 46GB free as Joe C posted.

#5 smkulczyk

smkulczyk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:18 AM

Follow the below BC guide. What is the make and model of the computer. That would determine if you need to use the convert gpt or convert mbr command in the guide. Curious as to what the make and model number of the SSD is.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

Does this SSD have a OS on it? You only have 46GB free as Joe C posted.

https://www.amazon.com/TCsunBow-Internal-Desktop-Advertising-Machine/dp/B073TTR8JY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521465296&sr=8-3&keywords=sunbow+ssd This is the ssd i purchased and I am using a Asus M4A7XTO EVO motherboard which I know is old

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:35 AM

I could not find the specs on this drive to indicate is was advanced format. Here is the companies web page. I would go ahead and use the BC guide on doing a clean install. 

That motherboard is UEFI so use the convert GPT command in the guide but make sure you have UEFI mode enabled and not Legacy Mode.

#7 smkulczyk

smkulczyk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:45 AM

I could not find the specs on this drive to indicate is was advanced format. Here is the companies web page. I would go ahead and use the BC guide on doing a clean install. 

That motherboard is UEFI so use the convert GPT command in the guide but make sure you have UEFI mode enabled and not Legacy Mode.

#8 smkulczyk

smkulczyk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:02 AM

Thank you for the quick responses. When I launched into BIOS, I did not have an option foe UEFI or legacy mode. Should I assume it is already in UEFI?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:12 AM

I would have to assume it is already at UEFI. If you open Disk Management and see a EFI partition formatted FAT32 you have a GPT disk. That would confirm it.

#10 smkulczyk

smkulczyk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:24 AM

I would have to assume it is already at UEFI. If you open Disk Management and see a EFI partition formatted FAT32 you have a GPT disk. That would confirm it.

I just checked my system info and my bios is set to legacy.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:39 AM

I went through the motherboard manual and I could not find anything suggesting a Legacy Mode unless it can autodetect the disk's partition table, GPT or MBR. Can you post an image of Disk Management?

Edit: A screenshot of System Info too.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 March 2018 - 10:39 AM.

#12 smkulczyk

smkulczyk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:55 AM

I went through the motherboard manual and I could not find anything suggesting a Legacy Mode unless it can autodetect the disk's partition table, GPT or MBR. Can you post an image of Disk Management?

Edit: A screenshot of System Info too.

Attached Files

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:09 AM

You need to look through your manual of the motherboard for UEFI mode. You can attempt to do a clean install per the BC guide and use convert GPT  in the diskpart commands after clean. The motherboard may auto detect GPT and force UEFI mode but you can't be sure until you attempt the clean install on the SSD.

Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users