Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I've installed Linux Mint on all my Main Computers/Laptops .. But need help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 -FireBlazer-

-FireBlazer-

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:34 AM

Hey there, i'm back..

I've installed Linux Mint on all my Computers/Laptops.. and Deleted Windows xD :D

But i like dark themes, dark backgrounds, so i've changed that in Linux but how can i change that Green color to another color, see Link below for Picture with issue:

( https://imgur.com/a/lb7Hy )

And i have searched for Updates, but damn how this works... please help me xD there are some things i dont understand see, but all the Updates are done (Kernel updattes, Security updates) i've even had an Microcode update for my Processor on my HP Laptop Pavilion DV5

see Link below for Picture with issue:

https://imgur.com/a/tHXnX )

https://imgur.com/a/EyaK9 )

and Linux Mint - Cinnamon works all good on all my Computers/Laptops!

but theres a little problem with my one laptop that haves (Touch buttons for sound/mute) when i slide it up or down, the volume increases and randomly drops or highs itself... i've had this issue on Xubuntu, and any other distro :/ the Laptop is a: HP Laptop Pavilion DV5, and another little issue is that the Wifi icon contantly goes to Orange and Blue, while it is on Windows always Blue, but thats not a problem, the Wifi works! :P see Link below for Picture with issue: (Touch Buttons for Sound/Mute):

( https://imgur.com/a/ApFev )

Thanks for all the help!! :) i appreciate it.. really!

I have enabled the Firewall in Linux Mint to :P

but do you know a open-source AV to scan Linux Mint sometimes for viruses, etc...

and i dont share files over to my friends (that uses windows) 

i've heard about Clam AV but i dont know xD... 

and any other recommendations/tips are always welcome!

Cheers :D

Edited by -FireBlazer-, 18 March 2018 - 11:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:29 AM

In Linux Mint you'll find there are a number of things you can customise to give the kind of look you want.

They're to be found in Menu > System Settings > Appearance
  • Backgrounds - allows you to set your Desktop background
  • Themes - allows you to set different theme options
    • Window Borders
    • Icons
    • Controls
    • Mouse Pointer
    • Desktop
To change, click on the "image" to the right of the different categories, to show the options provided, and then click on the option you want to select it.

Updates are done by using ....

Menu > Update Manager

Normally the Update Manager will notify you if there are any updates.

However, to check manually if any updates are available click on Refresh and the Update Manager will check the Repository.

If there are any to install, click on Install Updates and when prompted enter your password.

To see what the various levels of Update mean, with the Update Manager open, click on Edit > Preferences > Levels

Check the boxes of those levels you want to install automatically (I use levels 1 to 3) and ensure that any levels you do not want to automatically install (in my case 4 and 5) are unchecked. The unchecked items can still be installed manually if you wish (by selecting them in the list of updates that present themselves when you update), but only updates with one of the checked levels will be auto updated.

Edited by Gary R, 18 March 2018 - 12:08 PM.

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:56 AM

@ FireBlazer:-

You don't really need AV in Linux, TBH; the firewall keeps 99.9% of 'nasties' out. 

However, if you want a fairly trouble free one, I would personally recommend Comodo's AV for Linux. I always used their stuff back in the days when I was running Windoze, and never had any problems with it.

https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/antivirus-for-linux.php

Some people prefer Avast's Linux AV. There are some others floating around out there, but you'd have to dig for those.....

I don't bother setting it up for regular updates, scans, etc. I do the occasional one-off standalone scan if and when I feel it merits it, and update the thing as and when necessary. You certainly don't need it running in the background and hogging resources the way it does in Windoze.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have found it necessary, in Puppy, to use a start script to first start CAV itself, followed, a few seconds later, by the 'cmdagent' (without which updates, etc., won't function quite the way they're supposed to):-

#!/bin/sh
#
# Start COMODO Anti-virus for Linux : Mike Walsh 2017
#
/opt/COMODO/cav
# Let CAV 'settle down' first
sleep 10
# Now start 'cmdagent' so that updates, etc, can function as they should
/opt/COMODO/cmdagent

If you start CAV directly, the cmdagent never kicks-in. We found, by experimentation, that 10 seconds was about the shortest 'sleep' statement you could get away with and still have cmdagent 'auto-start' (via manual 'prodding'..!) If you tried to start it any earlier, it didn't want to know.

The .desktop 'Menu Entry' in /usr/share/applications starts CAV via this (in /root/my-applications/bin), rather than attempting to directly start the app itself in /opt. Thus, it functions as intended...

I haven't got a clue whether this would even be necessary in Mint. Probably not. A number of us on the Puppy Forum spent several days trying to figure out just what was happening when Comodo 'fired up'... Although I've never found confirmation of this anywhere, it's my belief that the 'cmdagent' is a piece of proprietary code from Comodo that is used to authenticate connection requests to their servers (where all the database definitions, etc., are stored.) Without it running, you'll never, ever connect...

(*shrug*)

But ask yourself this; do you really need all that messing about?  :rolleyes:  The above was simply an attempt by a bunch of us to get the thing running as it was supposed to. Not because we particularly needed it; it was merely an interesting exercise in seeing if we could....

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 19 March 2018 - 12:37 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users