Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Ublock Origin block tracking analytics?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 940 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:53 PM

I've been using Ublock Origin for years now. But theres something I'm not sure if it can block most if not all tracking analytics such as Google analytics?

BTW I use the Easy Privacy filter.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 855 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:22 AM

If you open the Dashboard on uBlock Origin, and click on the 3rd Party Filters tab, you will see a number of optional filters that can be used to block various different types of annoyance.

The Privacy filters are the ones to select if you want to block analytics.

To see whether the filter you choose is blocking the particular analytics site you want to block, do the following ...

1. Click on the filter you're wanting to use. This will open the filter contents.
  2. Hit Ctrl + F to open a search window
  3. If you're wanting to know if it blocks Google Analytics, use that (or variations of it) as your search criteria.

Using that method, from the options offered by uBlock origin, I was able to determine that the following filters block Google analytics ....

uBlock Origin -- Privacy filters

Easy Privacy

Can filters block all analytics ........ I seriously doubt it, since new ones spring up all the time, however they can greatly reduce the number that you're sending data to.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:46 AM

Adding to Gary R's comments.

...The browser extension uBlock Origin blocks Google Analytics to prevent user tracking. Since some sites stop working correctly if Google Analytics is not loaded properly, a neutered script is injected instead to reduce the likelihood of sites breaking.

uBlock Origin criticized for blocking CSP

Which Ad Blockers are blocking Google Analytics?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:03 AM

I have not fully explored this add on myself....but its attributes may be of interest to you...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adnauseam/

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 855 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:40 AM

Not seen that one before Condobloke, thanks. The home site has a bit more info ... https://adnauseam.io/

It looks interesting, I think I'll have a play with it myself, and see how it performs.

#6 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 940 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:25 PM

Thanks everyone you've answered my question. :)

#7 BertAzzone

BertAzzone

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:28 PM

uBlock Origin's creator indicates Advanced User Medium Mode as the preferred mode for balance in ease of use and unlocking its potential. Not only blocks ads but scripts as well, including malware and trackers. This video provides the best tutorial on how to use uBlock Origin (in fact there is a link to it on uBO's website). 

A bit of common sense and some trial & error as you browse your usual websites and you'll truly be an "advanced user" in a very short time. Very funny as well!

If you use MS Edge browser there is also Nano Adblocker, which is based on uBO. It is even easier to use and has more powerful features out-of-the-box. :clapping:  :thumbup2: 

Edited by BertAzzone, 09 July 2018 - 05:28 PM.

#8 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 940 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

@ BertAzzone

Thanks I was aware that Ublock Origin had an advanced mode but I never looked into how to use it, but now I see why some people use it over NoScript. But either way I'd rather stick with NS to block scripts and use Ublock to block ads, trackers and block malicious websites. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users