Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1070ti-windows wont load-POST loop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Furyon

Furyon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:35 PM

Brand new build. Installed Windows using Integrated Graphics while waiting for GPU to arrive. Windows loads fine using Integrated Graphics but when I switch BIOS to the 1070ti it POST's then DOS command, repeat, repeat. Tried reinstalling Windows with the GPU installed-wouldn't work. Left the card in but used Integrated and it reinstalled. Windows recognizes GTX 1070 TI in Device Manager. Latest Nvidea driver is installed. Swapped the GPU with another computer-both work in the other computer, neither in this one. I am sure I am missing something simple but have exhausted my ideas.

Gigabyte z270x gaming k5

Intel 17-7700k

16GB G Skills Trident RGB (2-8GB sticks)

MSI 1070ti Armor

Thermaltake 750w PSU

Windows 10 Home (up to date)

Edited by Furyon, 17 March 2018 - 07:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:00 PM

What beeps are you getting when booting?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:54 AM

Have you connected both the 8 and 6 pin PCIe connectors on the card to the power supply?

Edited by jonuk76, 18 March 2018 - 02:55 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:59 AM

Windows loads fine using Integrated Graphics but when I switch BIOS to the 1070ti it POST's then DOS command, repeat, repeat. Tried reinstalling Windows with the GPU installed-wouldn't work. Left the card in but used Integrated and it reinstalled. Windows recognizes GTX 1070 TI in Device Manager. 

Can you describe exactly what you do when you "switch BIOS to the 1070 Ti"?  You shouldn't normally need to change anything in BIOS to use a discrete GPU.  You'd simply switch the display cables to one on the GPU rather than the motherboard.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,131 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:29 AM

I am a little puzzled my Gigabyte board with my 3750k chip will auto switch from integrate to the video card with no bios changes you may be creating your own monster!

Your board is light years ahead of mine, I did look a little at its specs and it says it has 3 lane auto switching.  I do not know if that works the same as my board.

Phil

#6 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:48 PM

I agree with Old Phil.... reset the bios back to it's defaults and then boot up with the new gpu, the bios will/should auto-detect the new gpu. I have a Z170X gigabyte board and it auto-detected my nVidia card right off the bat

Edited by Joe C, 18 March 2018 - 12:50 PM.

#7 Furyon

Furyon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:40 AM

UPDATE:

I agree with Old Phil.... reset the bios back to it's defaults and then boot up with the new gpu, the bios will/should auto-detect the new gpu. I have a Z170X gigabyte board and it auto-detected my nVidia card right off the bat

I did reset the bios. It does auto detect the GPU. However, Windows will not load either from the SSD or from the USB. 

I manually set the BIOS to IGFX and windows loads just fine. Once Windows is up I then switched my output cables to the GPU and everything is now working off the GPU. I am able to shut down and restart right into Windows even from a cold boot. The only way I can get into the bios is to switch the hdmi cable back to the mobo. It works but has me a bit concerned that something in my bios is not right. I have not flashed my bios as I am unsure exactly how to do that and do not want to screw it up worse (at least now it works).

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

YOU FIXED IT!! No if it ain't broke don't fix it!

#9 Furyon

Furyon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:34 PM

Yep, going to give it a few days to ensure stability before I add the waterblock. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users