Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why might my computer take over twenty minutes to shut down?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 baabel

baabel

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:46 PM

Hello !

I am running
  Dell XPS 8900
  Intel Core i7-6700 CPU A 3.40 GHz
  8.00 GB RAM
  64-bit Operating System

Windows 7 Professional
  Service Pack 1

My question:   Why might my computer take over twenty minutes to shut down?

That's right - over twenty minutes.

If I hit restart, "Log Off" takes about two minutes.

Then "Shutting Down" takes about another twenty.

Once the screen goes blank I get the boot-up sequence quickly and I am back in business pretty quickly.

It boots fine, but takes forever to shut down.

It's been doing this for a while but I am not sure how long.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:04 PM

Type "Event Viewer" in the search bar, click on it it will show system errors.  Post what it shows it may help to define the issue.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:12 PM

In addition to what OldPhil posted.

Because you have Pro open Group Policy Editor and make sure you are not clearing the page file on shutdown.

https://www.howtogeek.com/282049/how-to-make-windows-clear-your-page-file-at-shutdown-and-when-you-should/

Disable hibernation.

Open an elevated command prompt and type

powercfg.exe /hibernate off

Enable show system files on the computer and delete hiberfil.sys on the root of C: if present.

Do a complete shutdown. Reboot and see if shutdown times are improved.

shutdown /s /f /t 0

Do a clean boot and see if shutdown time is better if the above does not work, If shutdowns are quicker using clean boot enable a few services and startup items at a time until the slow shutdown returns. This will give a clue on what services or startup items conflict and slow your shutdown.

https://www.winhelp.us/clean-boot-windows.html

#4 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:54 PM

Old Phil:  I opened Event Viewer & there is certainly a lot of information in it.  Is there any way to copy this.  Highlighting only seems to work on one line at a time.  Is there a way to easily creat a file with the information?

John C_21:  This sounds close to what is happening.  So it appears as if a security measure is causing the slow shut down as the computer erases all information that is saved.   Not a bad idea actually, but the shut down is very slow as a result.  I'm a little wary about editing the registry; I'm just not that much of an expert in computing.  is there any other way to do this?

Thank you both for your replies.

Edited by baabel, 17 March 2018 - 05:54 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:02 PM

The link also shows how to use the Group Policy Editor in Pro where editing the registry is not required. About 2/3 down on the page.

Pro and Enterprise User: Use the Group Policy Editor

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:15 PM

You would only need the information for one day IE last shut down.

Edited by OldPhil, 17 March 2018 - 07:16 PM.

#7 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:20 PM

Old Phil  I tried to include some some screen shots of Event Viewer but the message would not send.   I know there is a way to attach these files but I always forget how it is done. 

JohnC_21:  I see what you are referring to if it is "Pro and Enterprise User: Use the Group Policy Editor".  If so, I will have to study it for a while before I convince myself i am brave enough to use it (I am comfortable with computers but not at all knowledgeable).  I will be at this work site again in a few days.  In the meantime, here is a question - I have three computers at three sites - all are Windows 7.  This is the only one that takes so long to shut down.  Could it be that this is the only one of the three that clears the page file?  If so, I wonder why?  I suppose it is a good thing for security to clear the page file but it certainly takes an awfully long time!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:30 PM

Personally, I don't think the page file clearing is the problem as it takes 20 minutes and there is no way clearing a page file should take that long and it is a Security Plus to clear it. 

I would concentrate on first booting to Safe Mode. When in Safe Mode shut down. Does it take 20 minutes?

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:44 PM

Try using More Reply Options next to the post button.

Edited by OldPhil, 18 March 2018 - 04:44 PM.

#10 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:50 PM

I am back at the location of the machine in question.

Now here's something interesting:

Earlier today I attempted to open a browser and it wouldn't; or rather, it did, but took minutes to do so.  Same with every other program I attempted to open.  Then I noticed that I lost my internet connection (the lights on the cable modem were fine).  I rebooted and got my Internet connection back but the reboot still took a very long time and programs still were slow.

Then I remembered this this problem of programs taking very long to open also occurred a few months ago.  At that time I happened to speak to a friend who suggested I go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup and run it.  And run it again.  And again.  And again.  It solved the slow to open program problem.

So now today, just like a few months ago, I ran Disk Cleanup multiple times. The first round it cleaned a few small items and subsequent runs it cleaned larger items, and the last one smaller ones again.

And my browser and all the other programs opened quickly. Hallelujah!

So I did a few projects and then returned to Bleeping Computer.  I did as you suggested and restarted to boot into Safe Mode to test your idea.

As it turns out, I didn't need to.  The machine took about a minute to Log Off (after i clicked to force close a program - explorer exe I believe but not positive)

And then, instead of forever, the machine shut down in one minute and then rebooted. 

I didn't bother going into Safe Mode.

So is there clutter making the computer take so long to shut down?  And it re-accumulated so quickly.  I remember one of the larger items cleaned was something about Windows Updates I believe.

I guess I am going to have to run Disk Cleanup very often, although I do not know why the computer accumulates so much clutter so quickly.

I just hope this wasn't a fluke and that the next time I restart (I very rarely either shut down or restart) it boots up quickly again.

And I agree, it might be a good idea for Windows to continue to clear the page files.

Any thoughts on this?

Anything else you think I should do?

Thank you.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

Use CCleaner to clean up your Temp files but do not use the registry cleaner. If you install it make sure you opt out of any programs it offers to install.

I would also look to see how much space you have allocated to System Restore.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5482/make-system-restore-use-less-space-in-windows-7/

It was pointed out on another thread that CBS logs can accumulate and fill up the disk.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3112358/microsoft-windows/windows-7-log-file-compression-bug-can-fill-up-your-hard-drive.html

#12 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:25 PM

I actually have always used CCleaner and I run it multiple times a day.  

When I click "Registry" on the left of CCleaner there are 15 items, all are checked, and to the right, a check on "Problem   Data   Registry Key".  I would imagine that this is the default configuration on set up as I never went into this Registry part of CCleaner before..

As for System Restore, I had a problem in the past with my hard drive getting fuller and fuller.  I was instructed in this forum to reduce the amount of space it would take, and I did so.

But now, I followed the path in the link you included - for some reason I seem to have system protection completely turned off.  Should I turn it back on?  I would imagine so.  What percentage would you recommend I set the maximum to?

My C/Windows/logs/CBS folder takes only 81.4 MB and contains five CBS.persist files.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:39 PM

Yes, I would enable System Restore on your C: drive and give it about 5GB or more if you have the hard drive space.

You can delete all the CBS persist files.

#14 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:26 PM

OK.     Now here's something I don't understand.

My hard drive total is 919 GB.   533 GB is free.

Yet if I set System Protection Disk Space Usage to 5 GB, that says it is 39% of my hard drive.

I think this is what got me in trouble in the past with my hard drive getting gobbled up by System Restore points.

Perhaps Disk Space Usage is misreading the drive.

So instead of setting Disk Space Usage by absolute size (the misread? 5GB), I will set it by percentage of the drive, say for now, just 5%, which Disk Space Usage may be misreading as only 600 MB.

Any thoughts on this seeming discreptency?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:34 PM

I have no idea why 5GB would show as 39% of your hard drive. Look at Disk Management. How big is your C: partition in GBs?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users