Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sfc /scannow corrupt files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maxonnxc

maxonnxc

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:24 PM

I have tried the instruction from this link, https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667204/long-term-issue-of-corrupt-files-in-sfc/?hl=%2Bsfc+%2Bscannow#entry4415836, 

the sfcfix.exe is asking for a win7 dvd i dont have that what i have is a win 7 program on a flash drive i pluged it in but sfcfix.exe didnt seem to use it. 

is there another option to get the program to use the flash drive?

i unloaded scfdetails txt, the cbs.log was to big to upload, i can try to compress the file idk if that will help but here it is

ty

chris

PS idk how i got on windows vista  forums part i click on win 7 forums..

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 17 March 2018 - 04:33 PM.
Moved from Vista to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mike_shupp

mike_shupp

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:57 PM

You're trying to update your Win 7 system from a flash drive?  I have no clue what's on it, but if it's something you can install Windows from, it should look close enough to a DVD or an ISO to be usable.  Try rebooting, with your BIOS pointing to the flash drive as your primary drive, then tell Windows you want to repair your system.  Alternately, use DemonTools or some other tool to make an ISO image of that flash unit on your hard drive, and point your SFC program at the virtual disk.

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:30 AM

No - not trying to update Win 7 system from a flash drive (I don't think).

When SFCFix.exe attempts to fix an issue it might want to look for files on the Windows installation CD/DVD and it might only know about CD/DVD drives and not flash drives.

You might want to clean things up a little by navigating to this folder and deleting all the files in it (assuming Windows is installed on your C drive):

c:\windows\logs\cbs

Now run sfc  /scannow again which will create a fresh log file with only the most recent events.

See what SFCFix.exe has to say now.

If I had an SFC problem that SFCFix could not repair and I could not fix it myself I would look at these generic instruction (some of which you have already done):

Depending on what has happened to your system the fix could be very easy or you might need some help so I would downloading SFCFix.exe to your desktop from this link:

http://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe

For testing, learning and practice purposes it is easy to create corruption issues that cannot be fixed by sfc  /scannow.

First I manually created a problem that sfc /scannow reported but could not fix (SFC is not as smart as some folks think) then ran SFCFix.exe to see what it had to say.

Sometimes the SFCFix.exe process will fix the problem all by itself as you can see in this simple example where I created a corruption that sfc /scannow could not fix but SFCFix.exe was able to fix an "unimportant" corruption in one pass:

SFCFix.exe fixed one corruption all by itself:

When I ran sfc /scannow again the problem I created was fixed and running sfc /scannow again reported no issues.

That was pretty easy.

If SFCFix.exe can't fix the problem you may be promoted to insert your genuine Windows 7 SP1 installation CD/DVD and SFCFix will try to get the missing file(s) from there but if you don't have that or SFCFix can't find what it needs a results and log file called SFCFix.txt will be created on your desktop:

If SFCFix.exe can't fix the problem you then register a new account at Sysnative, follow the directions and they will send you back a ZIP file with the fixes for you to apply.  Often you get the fix in one message cycle because they know what they are doing.  It might take a little more depending on what is wrong.

Be sure to read, understand and follow their directions exactly:

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/4736-windows-update-forum-posting-instructions.html

Following the directions will get you the fastest and best reply in the fewest message cycles.

For simple cases what usually happens is they will analyze the report (may ask for more details) and eventually send you some instructions and a ZIP file that has in it the files you need to correct the problem and you are done.

Sometimes the problems are more complicated but eventually they should help get things squared away.

Be a mench and come back and tell us how it goes!

Edited by joseibarra, 19 March 2018 - 12:35 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users