Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse stops tracking/responding randomly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lancerhb2

Lancerhb2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:43 PM

Oh boy where do I start.

Specs:

Windows 8.1 64 bit

Intel Core i7-4790K CPU

16gb Crucial Ram

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

ASUS Z97-AR MB

Logitech G502 Gaming Mouse

Issue:

Mostly when playing games (but rarely while browsing websites or other activities) my mouse will entirely stop tracking all motion and clicking inputs. How long it lasts for and how often it happens seems to be completely random. It also seems that sometimes it will continuously do whatever the last input was. For example, if I'm holding LMB when it stops responding it'll continue to hold LMB even if I let go or press any other button. Sometimes it seems like the mouse saves my inputs while it's unresponsive then dumps them all at once when it comes back. Once or twice I've also heard a beeping when the mouse is unresponsive. I've found a video that details the same problem but without the constant beeping: 

Attempted Fixes:

I've tried many fixes and I'm starting to get desperate.

-Trying multiple USB ports on my pc

-Reinstalling drivers for the mouse

-Reinstalling Logitech Gaming Software

-Disabling power saving settings

-Disabling suspend mode

-Updating Windows

-Updating GeForce drivers

-Disabling xHCI in my bios

-Reinstalling USB hubs in device manager

-Lowering the polling rate of my mouse

-Switching mouses to a brand new G502, then to a Logitech MX Anywhere Bluetooth, then to a $2 garbage mouse and all have this problem

None of my other USB devices seem to be having problems either. My theory is that the mouse is spamming the pc with requests for whatever reason, but I have no idea what would have caused it because as far as I remember it all started randomly. I'm probably wrong but at this point I have no other ideas other than some deep-rooted issue.

I can provide any additional information if need be, and I appreciate any and all help.

EDIT:

I've noticed a few more things and thought I should add them:

-When starting a game the mouse is usually good for at least 10 minutes.

-I've disabled a setting that allowed Discord to control my mouse settings and it seems to be working a lot better, but the problem still persists

-My computer runs at around 86% memory usage when playing games, could this possibly cause it? But why would it affect only my mouse?

-Finally, I've noticed a window that will occasionally pop onto my screen and take priority over other windows (meaning I cannot make it rest under the current window I'm using, it always sits on top). I have no idea what it could be and it is not a program running unless it's Discord. Could this maybe be "stealing" my mouse inputs and stopping them from reaching what I want? I was able to grab a screenshot of it in-game, but can't find a way to add it to this post.

Edited by Lancerhb2, 17 March 2018 - 05:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lancerhb2

Lancerhb2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:09 PM

Still broken, could really appreciate some help. Also, nevermind on the Discord thing that didn't help at all.

#3 Lancerhb2

Lancerhb2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:35 PM

I updated my BIOS a few days ago and haven't had the issue since, seems to be the fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users