Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Doctor 4

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Silver Fern

Silver Fern

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:15 PM

Since downloading and paying for the anti spyware prog. Spyware Doctor, my computer is constantly crashing, on contacting the,m after a few explanations and re settings, they told me to uninstall and download the update,which I have done,my system still crashes, on further investigation I see forums saying that the programme is actually spyware, maybe that would explain all the spyware that it finds, but it seems to be that I will have to uninstall it, to end the system crashing, anyone else having this problem?
Thx.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 03 October 2006 - 09:23 PM.

Life is a journey not a destination;
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:39 PM

Spyware Doctor is a legit program. There are some rogue programs such as Spydoctor,etc. It is a resource hog. Older systems with less than 500mb of memory will probably have a problem with it. Too bad you didn't take the free trial. What do they say when you ask for a refund?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:40 PM

I haven't asked for a refund yet. Are you saying that Spyware Doctor is a resource hog or the other that you mentioned?. I use Windows XP, still a bit of memory left, or so it seems, PC world gave it such a good write up, and by some of their communications they appear to be tied up with PC world, hence the great write up.

An interesting notice appeared in the Windows Defender Beta 2 anti spyware prog, that I have downloaded saying that "Spyware Doctor has potentially unwanted behaviour." Seems to me that it's not the programme that it is cracked up to be. :thumbsup:

Edited by Silver Fern, 04 October 2006 - 12:16 AM.

Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:30 AM

Spyware Doctor is a resource hog. You may have some malware on your computer that is causing the problems you are experiencing. When you say it is finding a lot of spyware, if it is cookies that is one thing if Spyware Doctor is finding other malware I would be concerned. The way it works today is you get a trojan or worm and it hides and downloads several different spyware and adware programs. You might want to follow up with some online scans.
Remember, the best defense against malware is your computer use habits. Avoid bad sites, p2p programs, clicking on links offering free stuff, and opening spam mail. Using a browser other than Internet Explorer and keeping your operating system and programs updated.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:53 AM

First, uninstall the program using add/remove programs in the control panel or its own uninstaller if it has one.

Second - run the following on-line scan:

Windows One Care Free Scan

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download an Active X component.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

Third, and probably the most important:

Run The Windows OneCare Free Scan (on-line scan)
To run the Windows One Care Free Scan
Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan site using Internet Explorer.
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download an Active X component.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

After completing the Windows OneCare Free Scan run both Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy from safe mode, updating each program’s malware definitions before you scan and allowing both to fix what they find.

If you do not already have these freeware aps installed on your computer, you can get them at the following sites:

*AdAware SE: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

*Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Following that that I suggest you post a “HijackThis” log for expert assistance with your malware infection.

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum,
here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly.

Following instructions create a HJT log, and POST THE HJT LOG YOU CREATED IN OUR HJT FORUM – not in this forum,
at this link.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html
Include the specs for your computer (ie, processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and briefly describe the problem you are experiencing.)

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not use the Hijack This program to try to fix anything by yourself as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your operating system inoperable.
Some files when in the correct folder for them may be fine while in another may be malware hiding.

A member of our expert HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance, walking you through the complete repair process.

It may take a short period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Posting your Hijack This log anywhere but in the Hijack This Logs and Analysis forum will delay their response as it will require a moderator to move the log there before the HJT Team will see it and it will fall behind other logs posted after yours was posted, so be sure to post it in the proper forum.

Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make your computer to be different than displayed in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria the HJT Team has when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having had 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log that requires help might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, post your HJT Log in our HJT Forum (not here in this forum) and wait for a response from a HJT team member.

After you post your log, please do not make any changes to your computer. Discontinue trying to delete anything with any program as changes will make your HJT log obsolete and waste valuable time spent by our HJT experts analyzing the log made innacurate by changes and therefore their plan formulated to address the problems will also be obsolete.

If after 5 days you still have gotten no response, then post a re-request and a link to your HJT log HERE.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic14717.html

Make sure you post your HJT log in the HJT forum, not here, because if you post it here in this forum the response from our HJT Team will be delayed because the post will have to be moved before they see it and it will fall in line behind many others posted that same day.

#6 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:25 PM

Thx. for all your help. Since uninstalling spyware Doctor my computer is running a lot faster, and is so much 'quieter" in fact since turning it on this morn, it hasn't started running in the background, which it was always doing, so obviously the programme was somehow interfering with the running of it.!!! I don't think there is any malware or the like in it, always plenty of cookies, and I'm very careful which sites I go onto on the web, plus never open mail that I'm unsure of, or any spam. It will be interesting to see if the spam lessens.
They have contacted me and are 'looking into it,' but I'm not going to bother with it again, since giving things a lot of thought my computer has been playing up ever since I downloaded the programme.
Thx. I will try the Live onecare free scan. I have Adaware, a great programme, I'm not convinced about Sypbot S&D I always did have it until I read somewhere that some one else suspected it, so I did a search and found Hotbar linked to Spybot S&D programme,I use Spyware Blaster, and Spyware Guard, Windows Defender Beta 2 and Win patrol. I reckon I have a good cover. :thumbsup:
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:41 PM

Glad your computer is back to "normal". You can keep those 3rd party cookies from ever setting up shop on your computer by following the directions below:

How to block third party cookies in Internet Explorer:
Click start/control panel/double click Internet Options/click privacy tab/click advanced/check override automatic cookie handling/uncheck always allow session cookies/select block third-party cookies/click OK
Third-party cookies track your use of the Internet for advertising purposes. That is why they are considered adware/spyware.

In Firefox click on tools/click options/choose cookie tab/check allow sites to set cookies/check for the originating site only/in keep cookies window choose "ask me every time" (this will allow you to decide whether to accept first party cookies or not on the site you are viewing. Firefox will remember what you chose when you next visit the same site.)
Click OK

#8 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:05 PM

Thx. will give that a go, I have Internet Explorer. By blocking the cookies I'm presuming the 'good' cookies that sometimes are necessary to enter a site will be allowed thru, or does the puter ask if you want them.?
Appreciate all your help.
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:13 AM

In Internet Explorer, you are only blocking third party cookies with the settings Buddy215 gave you. These are generally placed by advertising on the site. First party cookies, such as those from BleepingComputer, will still be placed on your computer.

With the settings Buddy215 has provided for you for Firefox, you will have to decide which to accept. Click on more details to find out exactly who wants to set the cookie. I block a number of those also. Firefox will remember that you clicked on more details, so you only have to do that once. You can click on the box by remember this decision so the Firefox won't ask you about it anymore. If you need to change your decision, click on the exceptions button on the cookie tab in privacy settings. There you will see a list of blocked and allowed sites. You can remove whichever site you wish from the list.

There has only been one time that I needed to allow 3rd party cookies in Firefox, and that was with a specific website at the university. I always change my settings back when leaving that site.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:57 PM

Hi Silver Fern.
I have Spyware Doctor v4.0.0.2618 in my PC. It works very well and it's a legit program I can assure you.
I don't know why your PC work so badly when you install it.
Regards,
Darthy
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#11 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:21 PM

Hello Darthy,
That's interesting, I'm sure I don't know what the problem was either, but since uninstalling the programme my puter is back to normal, I'm pleased that it is successful for you, I think it has their technicians beat to. :thumbsup:
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

#12 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:16 PM

I love PC Tools Spyware Doctor! Did you have its "on guard" feature engaged? How many of your other anti-spyware programs were running with their "real time" features on?
O how I long for the days when a geek was merely a performer of the grotesque. -M

#13 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:39 PM

I don't know whether "onguard" feauture was engaged, how would that affect the computer? my other anti spyware progs. are Spyware Blaster, Windows Defender Beta2, and Spyware Guard.

Edited by Silver Fern, 08 October 2006 - 09:40 PM.

Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

#14 LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:54 AM

The rule is one real-time protection scanner per PC. The shields conflict with one another, lessening their effectiveness. This conflict is detrimental to overall system performance. So while it's necessary to have more than one anti-spyware program, you'll want to enable the real-time feature in only one. The others should be utilized as on demand scans.

For instance, I chose to run Spyware Doctor as my real-time protection, so I turned off the real-time feature on Windows Defender. I also run Ad-aware on demand. I'm a very newbie and am unfamiliar with your other products. Take a look at them. Read about how they work. Persons here can give you input on how compatible programs are with one another & the different approach each application utilizes to protect you.
O how I long for the days when a geek was merely a performer of the grotesque. -M

#15 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:49 PM

Ok thx. will check things out.
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image