Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Alot Of Internet Sites Are Blocked For Me =\

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kaws

kaws

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:38 PM

Ok, so recently my internet connection was linked to a router, and since I got that router, im unable to access ALOT of sites (ebay, myspace, youtube, the only ones at the top of my head). No access in firefox OR IE. they just constantly load... Its been irking me for quite some time now. I have no access to the modem, since its for my partners company, and he nor I have the password to access it. I talked to the guy who installed the router for the company, and he said there arent any filters on it... When i plug the RJ-44 cable into my computer from the router, im able to access the internet, but when I go from the modem directly to the computer, I get NOTHING. I was told that my IP is the one that constantly changes, but the company cant have that, so it tries to change, but it doesnt. My partner said that if he were to get the one that doesnt change from our ISP (SBC Yahoo! DSL), itd be an extra $70 a month :thumbsup: So yeah, Itd be nice if i could get to the bottom of this, and see what I can do about it. Thanks in advnace :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:04 AM

What kind of internet connection do you have? Are you able to access any sites at all or is the internet complete down when you hook up the computer?

Does your primary connection go into a company wide router and then you have another router after that, that your computer plugs into?

#3 kaws

kaws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:13 AM

What kind of internet connection do you have? Are you able to access any sites at all or is the internet complete down when you hook up the computer?

Does your primary connection go into a company wide router and then you have another router after that, that your computer plugs into?

I Have SBC Yahoo! DSL. I dont know if its static or dynamic (the one where teh IP constantly changes). My connection goes to the company linksys router and then into the SBC Yahoo Speedstream modem. For some reason, only a few sites are blocked. they just dont load, and its really irritating. I cant even access yahoo mail.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:05 PM

Its one of two things...you have something wrong with your machine. Or there is a setting on the router that is either filtering it or giving the wrong DNS information back for these sites.

When you plug the DSL in directly it works fine?

#5 kaws

kaws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:50 AM

Its one of two things...you have something wrong with your machine. Or there is a setting on the router that is either filtering it or giving the wrong DNS information back for these sites.

When you plug the DSL in directly it works fine?

Nothings wrong wth my machine. Both computers linked to the router cant access the same sites. Im guessing its teh DNS info thats getting messed up. is there anything i can do about this?

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:29 PM

Are you using the router as your DNS server or are you specifying a server or the ISP's DNS servers. I always recommend that people use the ISP's DNS servers...even if that means manually hard coding them into your tcp settings.

This "may" cause problems if you are in a windows domain, though.

#7 kaws

kaws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:25 PM

Are you using the router as your DNS server or are you specifying a server or the ISP's DNS servers. I always recommend that people use the ISP's DNS servers...even if that means manually hard coding them into your tcp settings.

This "may" cause problems if you are in a windows domain, though.

I have no idea what you just said... im really not all that into computers

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:41 PM

Go into the control panel, double-click on network connections, and then right click on local area connection, double-click on tcp properties. What is it say you have dns servers set as ?

#9 kaws

kaws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:10 PM

Sorry for the delay, but, when i right click Local area connection, I dont see anything saying TCP properties...

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:04 AM

Do this:

Click on start, then settings, then control panel. Double-click on network connections and right click on your network connection and go into its properties. Your lan connection will prob be called local area connection.

Scroll down to Internet Protocol and double-click on it.

Select use the following dns servers and remove whats there (write down whats there so you can add it back after) and enter instead:

Press ok twice and then reboot. Can you access google now?

#11 kaws

kaws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:21 PM

Ok, when I selected "use the following DNS servers" there were no numbers there to begin with, so i just switched from the automatically locate one to the use the following, and typed in that code. I've been able to access google, but myspace, youtube, and other stuff still arent working...

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:03 AM

Ok switch your dns back to the obtain address automatically.

Click on start, then run, and type notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and press the ok button.

When the notepad opens, post the contents of the file here.

#13 kaws

kaws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 05:10 PM

# Copyright © 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

ok thats what i got

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:29 AM

Have you tried another computer connected to the same ethernet connection that you are using? Does that computer have the same problem? if it does, its definitely something on the router filtering out. If not, then we know its your computer with theproblem.

#15 kaws

kaws
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:23 PM

hmmmm i havent tried using another computer... i'll see if i can get a friend to bring theirs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users