Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To be Determined: Microsoft Mail will open links in Edge only

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:02 AM

Right now, the fall 2018 edition of Windows 10 will open links within email via Microsoft Edge—and boy, are some people mad. 

Windows 10 Build 17623, part of the “Skip Ahead” track that will debut in the “Redstone 5” release in the fall, will begin testing a change that will make Edge the default browser for reading email links, Microsoft said Friday. The decision isn’t final, and Microsoft hasn’t even released the current version of “Redstone 4,” informally known as the Spring Creators Update. Heck, since the Skip Ahead track is a closed beta, the vast majority of Windows users won’t even be affected for months.

Under the new rules, it doesn’t matter which browser you have selected as the default; if you use the basic Mail app within Windows, any link you click will open up Edge. Outlook will apparently open links using the default browser, as before.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3263783/windows/microsoft-tries-forcing-mail-users-to-open-links-in-edge-and-people-are-freaking-out.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:44 PM

EdgeDeflector solves this problem.  https://github.com/da2x/EdgeDeflector

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,886 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:16 AM

This move actually doesn't surprise me at all, and is as outrageous as the change to Cortana that created a forced wedding between "her" and Edge.

Everyone knows that a URL can, and should, be handed to whatever default browser the user has selected in their settings.

I was shocked when there wasn't a major user uprising with the Cortana change.  Since there wasn't, why not try the next step?   I hope that there will be major push back this time around.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 01:46 PM

As far as I can see this is actually a major security flaw of a decision. Let us consider that many users will avoid use of microsoft's own browser because they'll have opted for firefox or chrome and they'll have fitted firefox/chrome with special extensions to close off attack surface area (for example they'll have noscript in firefox), these users will have avoided edge because they know it doesn't have these extensions on offer and by the way it is integrated deeply into the OS they'll know edge carries similar risks to IE (albeit somewhat reduced as edge is based on newer underlying code). Now if edge springs open instead of their properly secured browser when they follow a link, imagine the possibilities for disaster! Furthermore email spammers will know this and send emails to people knowing that due to ms's idiocy anyone using ms's basic mail app will be opening their spam links in edge, they'll know to start targeting edge as a higher proportion of users will be (in-advertently and un-consentingly) using it.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:44 PM

Maybe Microsoft wants to do this in conjunction with the new "S" mode. Microsoft states most people with stick with "S" mode.  :wacko:

Currently Edge's market share is about 4%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users