Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Imap / smtp settings for verizon / AOL

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 494 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:24 AM

What are the settings used to set up my android phone? AOL / Verizon support cant get it right.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,803 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:31 AM

Verizon has been out of the e-mail business for several years now and AOL did take over to allow you to use your Verizon address if you did so way back when.

There are scads of pages that tell you how to configure the AOL Verizon e-mail on virtually any e-mail client you can name:

Verizon e-mail retirement announcement page

AOL Mail for Verizon Customers

How do I manually configure the settings in email applications to send and receive my Verizon.net mail?

How you get to the account settings will depend on what e-mail client you've elected to use on Android.  If it's not Gmail or one of the common ones then check the support pages for the client in question.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 494 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:21 PM

Someone who finally know what they are doing. Manually config worked. In that link, do both methods work ie.. pop3 and imap. Between CSR's and Supervisors from both Verizon and AOL, they were giving me combinations of both, one was telling me to use POP3, another telling me use IMAP. They also were giving me the wrong server address and so on. If i looked at your response it would of saved me 1.5 hours of there idiot support.

Thx Brian. Much appreciated.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,803 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:19 PM

If one has the option I cannot think of a single earthly reason why one would chose POP3 if the choice of IMAP is available.

IMAP not only allows you to access your e-mail and keep it automatically synchronized across multiple devices but all of your e-mail is stored on the server side (although copies of the latest messages are also downloaded to your machine and kept for a set period of time before being cleaned up there - they're re-downloaded if you need them at some far later time).  No one's home backup protocol can come close to what's done in the professional data centers used by every major e-mail provider I can name.   In addition, when you decide to chuck your current computer for your next computer with IMAP you just set up the account again and it's as though you were just on your old one after the initial synchronization completes.

I have, on many more occasions than one, made the following observation:  "Technical support is often neither."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 494 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:13 PM

I have, on many more occasions than one, made the following observation:  "Technical support is often neither."

Touche, you made me pee my pants on the quoted statement. LOL thx again Brian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users