Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a program like Microsoft Word 2007

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 bertiemae

bertiemae

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:05 AM

My Microsoft Word 2007 won't let me save any documents anymore. It says that Microsoft is not responding when I try to save.  I tried to repair it but that didn't work either.  So was wondering if there is a free word program that I can download.  I have Windows 10 Pro. I don't have the disc to reinstall it. Thanks,  Alberta

Edited by bertiemae, 17 March 2018 - 04:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:18 AM

Libre Office

Free

easier, quicker, smarter

Included in all Linux operating systems.

Brilliant.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:22 AM

I also like Libre Office but I would also repair your Office 2007. Do you have the original installation DVD?

Edit: Also, you need the original product code.

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 17 March 2018 - 05:23 AM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:49 AM

Type winword.exe in the search box. Create a new document and save it. Shut down. Start back up. Open that new document and see if it works.

#5 bertiemae

bertiemae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:11 AM

Libre Office won't install on my Windows 10 as I don't have Linux on it.  I typed winword.exe in the search box but when I try to save a new document, it says that Microsoft word is not responding.  And no I don't have the original installation DVD.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,026 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:25 AM

LibreOffice has a Windows Version. Use V6 and select Windows X86/64 in the dropdown box

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

Another Free Alternative

http://www.freeoffice.com/en/

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:54 AM

Since you do not have the original installation DVD you will need the product key as mentioned.

​Although there are programs that will find your product key, I like to go to www.belarc.com because it contains a simple report of what a system consists of.

​Run the Belarc Advisor and then scroll down to the software licenses section.

If you find that, you don't have to let us know what it is, but please post back so you can take the next step forward.

​--- It's good that there are free alternatives, but are you interested in continuing to use your Word 2007?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,026 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:12 AM

Office 2007 has reached end of life and Security Updates are no longer offered.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3198497/office-2007-approaching-end-of-extended-support

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 March 2018 - 10:12 AM.

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:26 AM

Libre Office won't install on my Windows 10 as I don't have Linux on it.  I typed winword.exe in the search box but when I try to save a new document, it says that Microsoft word is not responding.  And no I don't have the original installation DVD.

I have Libre Office installed on my Windows 10.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,161 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

I have had Libre Office installed under Windows 10 on several machines.  Open Office will install, too.

With regard to Office 2007 having reached end of life and security updates ceasing, to be perfectly honest that would not concern me very much at all except in regard to Outlook 2007, which has constant interaction with cyberspace.   All other Office files are either created by the user or, if they have anything even vaguely current as far as antivirus/security suite, scanned upon download and blocked before they can even make it on to a machine if compromised.  I can't remember if auto-execute of scripts is turned off in 2007 or not, but it is in 2010.  I think 2007 has protected mode on by default, too, but again I can't be certain because I stopped using 2007 very shortly after 2010 came out.

The probability of getting an infection via an MS-Office file on machine with even fairly basic, but current, "shield" technology is very, very small.  It's infinitesimally small if one only downloads or detaches files from trusted sources to begin with.

Edited by britechguy, 17 March 2018 - 10:39 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 bertiemae

bertiemae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:02 AM

I went to Belarc and downloaded it and found the product key for Microsoft office.  Yes I would like to keep using word 2007.

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

I went to Belarc and downloaded it and found the product key for Microsoft office.  Yes I would like to keep using word 2007.

Remember that there are no security updates for it and that it is unsupported. Download Libre Office and get use to using that as well.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:00 PM

Might be way off base, but for an easy first step to rule out a problematic template, try this.
Close Word and using the Search utility, look for normal.dot (or in the case of Word 2007 normal.dotm) , include hidden files and folders under advanced search options.
You might find more than one instance, but should you see one preceded by a tilde and dollar sign (~$normal.dotm), delete it. Re-launch Word and see if it helped.
When using Word 2002, this would occasionally occur, often when shutting down the program prematurely, and deleting that would cure the 'not responding' issue. 
If that abnormal .dot(m) instance isn't there, deleting all others can help as Word re-creates it when opening, sometimes needs opening twice, but you lose any previous settings that you might use, if I remember correctly.
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#14 bertiemae

bertiemae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,026 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:06 PM

I can't remember but doesn't Office 2007 allow a person to do a repair when selecting Uninstall Office > Change in Control Panel? I don't remember if a disk is required for the repair operation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users