Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Delete Avg

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cartooncutie

cartooncutie

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:58 PM

I decided that I had too many different security programs: an anti-virus, an anti spy ware, etc. I want to have just one program that does it all (as much as possible). SO, I tried to uninstall AVG Free, but it won't go away. I tried the AVG uninstall, uninstall through add/remove programs, and uninstall through ccleaner. Nothing worked. When I just try to delete the folder, it says that it's still in use despite the fact that I disabled the program. I installed it again because sometimes I get a message that a file is missing, but trying to uninstall after that still didn't work.

How do I get rid of this stupid program?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:03 PM

Did you try the normal uninstall process in Safe Mode?

Ii might argue that having one shot-gun application that attempts to do all things is not necessarily the best course of action when it comes to protecting your computer, especially in regards to spyware (which is subject to many differing interpretations and levels of strictness).
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 cartooncutie

cartooncutie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:06 PM

I believe I did, but I'll try it in safemode again. Oh, and I'm downsizing from 5 security programs (as suggested by this site) to 2.

#4 cartooncutie

cartooncutie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:23 PM

ok so the program was moody about the order in which I deleted the files while in safe mode, but I think I'm "AVG free" now...thanks!

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:27 PM

All the below info/comments from the Grisoft forum:

Running the installation process recognises the existence of installed AVG Free for Windows and the Add/Remove Components option is offered.

Reinstalling and using the Add/Remove option is necessary for example for the case that there is a new supported e-mail client (Outlook/Eudora/The Bat!) installed on the PC after the installation of AVG Free for Windows.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First try this from Safe Mode to see if that helps....

1. Run the AVG Free install file
2. Choose the Uninstall option and follow the setup wizard, when you get to the part to remove user settings, select it.
3. Restart your computer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you tried to uninstall AVG in Safe mode using ADD/REMOVE

As Safe mode bypasses the current real-mode configuration and loads a minimal protected-mode configuration and you should be able to uninstall.

1. Download the latest AVG Free installation package from [free.grisoft.com]
2. Run the AVG Free install file
3. Choose the Uninstall option and follow the setup wizard, when you get to the part to remove user settings, select it.
4. Restart your computer...
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users