Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 with Windows 7 Hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dumwan

Dumwan

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:57 PM

I have a computer with Windows 10 and a internal hard drive with windows 7

I would like to get the data of the window 7 hard drive 

What I would like to know is would it be safe to simply remove the win 10 HDD and hook up the Win 7 HDD and move the data to and external hard drive 

though one is 10 and the other is 7 can it jack up my computer in anyway

sorry  if this a stupid question 

please help thank you

Edited by Dumwan, 16 March 2018 - 05:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:57 PM

Is the computer you have a desktop with space for an extra drive? If you have a laptop then you can't expect the Windows 7 hard drive to boot in different hardware. You would need a USB adapter similar to this one.

Another way around it would be to put the Windows 7 drive in the laptop and boot a live linux disk like Mint which would allow you to copy the data off the drive to a USB external. If the laptop was pre-installed with Windows 8 or 10 you will need to disable SecureBoot in your compute's UEFI settings.

#3 Dumwan

Dumwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:47 AM

it's a desktop I was talking about removing the hard drive with windows 10 hooking up the window 7 hard drive getting the data off then reinstall the win 10 hard drive will that causes any issue

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:31 AM

As I posted, because the hardware on the computer is different than the hardware on the Windows 7 computer it may not boot but you can give it a try. In any case on the Windows 10 computer, if pre-installed with Windows 8 or 10, you would need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings. Windows 7 does not support SecureBoot. Also, if the Windows 7 HDD has a MBR partition table and not GPT ( the older computer with Windows 7 has a legacy BIOS and not UEFI)  you will need to change your setting in UEFI to Legacy or CSM boot before Windows 7 would be able to boot and there are no guarantees it could boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users