Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning new hard drive

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 turkey10

turkey10

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:27 PM

Hi,

I have a lenovo z710 laptop with 1T of hard drive, my hard drive is full and I'm trying to clone a new seagate firecuda 2T hard drive before I install it into my laptop. I bought a Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA/IDE hard drive adapter model USB-DS12 and was going to use Macrium reflect to do the cloning. When I hook up the new bigger drive neither my computer or the reflect software recognize the new hard drive. I went into disk management and tried to format it and it wasn't recognized there either. The new drive sounds like it is powering up when I hook it up. Can someone walk my through this process. Thanks Terry

Edited by turkey10, 16 March 2018 - 05:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:55 AM

Probably best to Post Make and Model of Lappy and Operating System.

Have you thought of just offloading your files / Data to an external drive ?

If you goto the 2TB , then that will fill up eventually also...

Personally i dont know why anyone uses full capacity of large drives for the Operating System when 100 - 150 G is plenty in my view.

I run a 500G SSD - Partitoned at C:\ 100 G and D:\ Data at 400G and the Operating System is always steady at 40G. { Win 7 }.  

If its not recognised the new drive it may be faulty , or try it on another PC.

Or connected it in the Laptop { Swap Out } and check in the Bios if recognised.

Edited by Havachat, 17 March 2018 - 06:02 AM.

#3 turkey10

turkey10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:57 AM

It's a Lenovo Ideapad Z710 Model# 200250 running windows 10. I was going to try off loading a bunch of data but I haven't been able to get that done yet so I bought the larger hard drive to bridge the gap till I can get it set up the way I would like. It's one of those things were I plan on getting to it and never do and now it bit me in the behind. I can swap the drive out but have no idea what I would need to do to look in Bios to see if it recognized. I have watched several videos on cloning the hard drive and installing it into my laptop, which seems easy enough. Just can't figure out why it will not recognize the new hard drive.Any help getting this new drive up and going is greatly appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 19 March 2018 - 12:46 PM.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:38 AM

Contact customer service for your new seagate firecuda 2T hard drive: you probably have 30-day free customer support as well as a 1 year warranty. 

​--- I'm not a hardware person and I did just that a few years ago when I wanted to clone my HDD to a new SSD which wasn't being recognized.

#5 turkey10

turkey10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

Thanks cmptrgy, I will give that a try.

Edited by hamluis, 19 March 2018 - 12:47 PM.

#6 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:45 AM

:grinner:

Edited by Joe C, 17 March 2018 - 10:18 AM.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:00 AM

Hi,

Your laptop have USB2 and USB3 ports did you try both?

By the way when the objective is to clone a disk the destination drive doesn't need to be formatted.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#8 turkey10

turkey10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:00 AM

I did try all 4 USB 2 and USB 3 ports, nothing worked. I think the addapter cable I ordered was not giving the drive enough power to power up. It sounded like it was powering up but that is the only thing I could come up with. I sent the cable back and ordered a 

Inateck FD2002 USB 3.0 to SATA Dual-Bay USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station with Offline Clone Function for 2.5"/3.5" HDD SSD SATA (SATA I/ II/ III), Support 2x 8TB and UASP from amazon. It should be here today, hopefully that works. I will let you know either way. Thanks Terry

Edited by hamluis, 19 March 2018 - 12:47 PM.

#9 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:40 AM

Check in control panel > admin tools > computer management > disk management and see what it shows.  Maybe the disk just needs to be initialized???

Or maybe it's a hardware failure.... If it's a model ST2000DM001 drive inside there, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it's DOA.

#10 turkey10

turkey10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:47 AM

I did try that and the drive doesn't show up in disk management. That's why I was thinking the adapter wasn't giving it enough power to power up. I can hear the drive power up but I'm thinking it's not getting up to speed.

Edited by hamluis, 19 March 2018 - 12:48 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:28 PM

ST2000DM001 is a 3.5 drive I believe.  Here is the firecuda the OP purchased if I had to hazard a guess.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-5-25-INCH-Converter-Activity-USB-DS12/dp/B0758RP5V8

It could be that the integrated power block is not providing enough power. I prefer a USB adapter with a separate power brick.

https://www.sabrent.com/product/USB-DSC8/usb-3-0-sataide-hard-drive-converter-power-supply-led-activity-lights/#description

Edit: I would remove your 1TB drive and install the new 2TB drive into your Lenovo. See if your UEFI detects the drive. If it does then install Windows 10 to the bare drive. That would tell you if your Sabrent Adapter is bad or not.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 March 2018 - 12:41 PM.

#12 turkey10

turkey10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:38 PM

The first link you have is the cable I had. I sent it back and got this. It should be here today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N1KXE9K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let me know if you think this will work or not. Thanks Terry

Edited by hamluis, 19 March 2018 - 12:48 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:41 PM

That Toaster adapter would work. In my edited post I suggested installing the new drive and putting Windows 10 on it. If it works you know the Sabrent is bad.

#14 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 873 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

open your case and plug the drive into the mother board, do a clone over usb will take all night for 1TB drive.   if you clone it internally it will clone in a 1 or 2 hrs.

and your usb adapter may not be compatible with the drive.

disregard, i didn't see it said laptop.   but do it in a pc it's way faster

Edited by mightywiz, 19 March 2018 - 12:43 PM.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:40 AM

The first link you have is the cable I had. I sent it back and got this. It should be here today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N1KXE9K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let me know if you think this will work or not. Thanks Terry

Thanks for the link, looks to be a great device to clone and backup both 2.5" & 3.5" drives, should perform well for your needs. :)

I have a couple of docking stations, although are only single bay models. Still gets the job done. Insert drive to be cloned into computer & initialize, one can then install and use Macrium Reflect to create WinPE media. Then remove the drive to be cloned from computer, insert in docking station, boot from the WinPE rescue media & clone to the larger drive installed. End result should be a bootable OS. 

Then the 1TB HDD can be used as an external backup drive using the docking station. :)

One thing I recommend before doing anything is to sort through the drive before clone and delete anything no longer used, such as large ISO's of OS's no longer used & other files that's no longer accessed. One would be surprised at how much space can be freed, plus run the extended Disk cleanup (Cleanup System Files). These can easily exceed 4-5GB, especially if there's been several upgrades to the current OS. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users