Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How bad are "tracking cookies"?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MarkMackerel

MarkMackerel

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:14 PM

I ran hitmanpro on my laptop and i had a lot of tracking cookies. Many of them were from very suspect sites. I deleted them but I'm just wondering how bad are they to have on your machine?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:43 PM

Not bad.Most free disk cleaners will nuke them.Ccleaner,Wise Disk Cleaner and Privizer do a good job.Cookies are just a way for websites to see how many times you frequent them,but some sites require them for logins to work.

#3 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:51 PM

This is from 2013 but still accurate:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/-tracking-cookie-definition,news-17506.html
Any browser I've used I've set to block third party cookies, and on current iPad Safari it's set to accept cookies 'from visited' only, which is the same equivalent.
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:28 AM

Cookies are NOT a "threat" in the typical sense we think of malware infection. As text files, cookies are inherently harmless and cannot be executed to cause any damage. See my detailed explanation about cookies and links to resources in order to mitigate them.

As long as you surf the Internet, you are going to get cookies and some of your security programs will flag them for removal.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Chertoff

Chertoff

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:36 AM

They are really not that bad. If you sue a suitable software, they will be wiped off.

#6 Kellysi

Kellysi

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:47 AM

The cookies are codes of information, like your PC screen resolution, processor, OS, and sometimes geo-location. They are there to serve you personalized experience on website. Each cookie has its name, the path (website that is allowed to use it), value, expiration date (they all have a life cycle), and the information mentioned above. Websites store cookies on servers, and if one website has multiple servers, it will be accessible to any of them. They are a string of code, and personally I dont think anyone can read it unless they are experts in it. True to mentioned above any software can delete them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users