Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blocking Ads

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:49 PM

I use Firefox 59..0 and have utilized Ublock to block ads. It did the job. However recently, when I visit the MSN website sponsored ads appear. I've removed it from add-ons and then added it back. I've tried using Adblock with the same results.

Can someone tell me what is going on as I have no idea. As I said Ublock worked perfectly for blocking all ads..

Edited by sikntired, 16 March 2018 - 03:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,881 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:17 PM

Try using NoScript extension. I just visited MSN | Outlook, Office, Skype, Bing, Breaking News, and Latest Videos

and didn't see any "sponsored ads". I have Adblock Plus installed, too. Adblock Plus will allow some ads unless you uncheck the

box next to Allow Acceptable Ads in Options.

NoScript Security Suite :: Add-ons for Firefox

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:55 PM

Thanks buddy215. I'll try No-Script.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,881 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:16 PM

If you still see those ads after installing NoScript then you should scan with AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes

Try just enabling the top MSN script first. If you want to test to see which script(s) allow those sponsored ads then

allow one at a time. You don't need to reboot Firefox. The scripts will run as soon as you click on them to allow.

There were a bunch of ad related scripts that I saw.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:21 PM

Well, I tried No-script from the link provided. It blocked all pictures from being displayed., so I removed. I also tried your suggestion of unchecking the box next to allow Acceptable Ads, still no go. "Sponsored Ad" still appears to far right of page as well as ads in slideshow. Microsoft store offers at bottom of page show when before they were blank.

Kind of scratching my head here, as I have ran MBAM with zero detections.

Edited by sikntired, 16 March 2018 - 05:22 PM.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,881 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:33 PM

You gave up too soon....should of allowed one script at a time. There is a learning curve to use NoScript correctly. It is

one of the best malware blockers. If the ads didn't show up while NoScript was activated then that is your solution...and likely

only solution for blocking those ads. But if they don't block content....no need to block the ads. My local daily newspaper now

has those type of ads and they don't block content so I don't attempt to hide them.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,881 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:55 PM

My Adblock Plus is blocking Microsoft Store Offers – Sponsored

Are those the ads at the bottom the main page for MSN that you are wanting to block?

After you unchecked the box to deny allowing some ads did you refresh the MSN page? If not, it is

necessary to refresh pages after making changes to activate the new options in Adblock Plus.

Edited by buddy215, 16 March 2018 - 08:00 PM.

#8 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:35 AM

Yes, you are correct. When I had UBlock Origin installed it blocked all the "Sponsored Ads" including the "Microsoft Store Offers" at the bottom of the page.

I did refresh the page after unchecking the box to deny allowing some ads. I also did a restart several times. And I did run AdwCleaner, it was clean.

As for No-Script, it's "greek" to me and I believe you when you say there is a learning curve. Guess I'm not that patient in my "old age".

For now I have uninstalled Firefox and am going to try a re-install later on today.

buddy215, please accept my thanks for your time and efforts thus far. Hopefully this will get resolved!!

For some reason I cannot quote your previous posts nor does the Ctrl-c Ctrl-v work. I have HTTPS Everywhere installed. Could thet be the culprit?

Edited by sikntired, 17 March 2018 - 07:39 AM.

#9 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:10 PM

For some reason I cannot quote your previous posts nor does the Ctrl-c Ctrl-v work. I have HTTPS Everywhere installed. Could thet be the culprit?

Trying that myself:

Trying to do that for quote of the /your previous post:

My Adblock Plus is blocking 

Microsoft Store Offers – Sponsored

Are those the ads at the bottom the main page for MSN that you are wanting to block?

After you unchecked the box to deny allowing some ads did you refresh the MSN page? If not, it is

necessary to refresh pages after making changes to activate the new options in Adblock Plus.

-

I notice that the quotation TAGS did not work correctly.  Too much of the quoted stuff is not being shown WHERE I PLACED THEM ACCORDING TO THE TAGS.  Note that I used the keyboard character by character to type the tags where they are supposed to go, and the result failed!

You might try the mouse to highlight what you want, right click and choose COPY, then go to the place in composition field where you want the quote and right click and choose PASTE.

Edited by cafejose, 17 March 2018 - 02:12 PM.

#10 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:29 PM

Well buddy215 I uninstalled Firefox and re-installed. I then added AdBlockPlus. Everything seems to be working fine as I went to MSN.com website and all "Sponsored Ads" are blocked including the Microsoft Store Offers at bottom of page.

I don't know how, what, or why but all is A-Okay.

Once again, thanks for your time and assistance, as always it is truly appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users