Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS recognition of HDD is erratic

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nihilisticky

nihilisticky

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:54 PM

I had an encrypted HDD working fine. Then I bought an SSD, moved OS in there, encrypted it as well, and as soon as it was setup I connected my old HDD back up and everything worked fine the first boot.

The next 3-4 reboots the HDD was nowhere to be seen except in BIOS (if it's recognized by BIOS it means there is no cable problem, right?). The day after I boot up and the HDD shows up again like nothing happened.

Let me know if this isn't allowed; I'm gonna link my reddit post as it contains some more info and helpful images.

EDIT:

HDD: ST1000DM003

Encryption: Veracrypt 1.21

Edited by nihilisticky, 16 March 2018 - 03:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:30 PM

Both partitions are still labeled RAW?

#3 nihilisticky

nihilisticky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:37 PM

Yes the HDD is all RAW, but file read/write is working fine. I'm afraid of shutting down my computer, when will be the next time I see my HDD again :hug:?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:55 PM

A RAW Windows drive is usually indicative of a bad partition table. It's possible the drive is showing RAW because it is encrypted. If you can read/write the drive I would attach a USB external and pull the data off that drive. After doing that I would wipe the drive and partition/format it as NTFS and instead of encrypting the volume or full drive create a Veracrypt container file on the drive.

#5 nihilisticky

nihilisticky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:12 PM

I opened the disk but before I had time to do anything it vanished. I guess it was dumb luck that it was even stable this long. I checked my settings in Veracrypt, auto-dismount after certain inactivity is off.

nVr89rC.png

Edited by nihilisticky, 16 March 2018 - 05:13 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:00 PM

I would check your drive's power and data cables. Possibly move the data cable to another SATA port on the MB. Also change data cables if the drive is still not detected. 

Open a command prompt and type

diskpart

list disk

Is your HDD listed?

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 March 2018 - 06:00 PM.

#7 nihilisticky

nihilisticky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

When it's disconnected diskpart doesn't show it.

I saw that my SSD was connected to the MB via a 2x3 hub, while the HDD was connected directly on the MB close-by. I put the HDD connection next to my SSD. Only time can tell if it will stay stable, but as of now I've extracted essential files and will NTFS it when I have time.

Thanks!

One interesting thing I found is that CHDSK classifies my decrypted HDD as NTFS. Disk manager is probably recognizing the encrypted partitions as RAW? idk

Edited by nihilisticky, 16 March 2018 - 07:36 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:33 PM

No problem. Can you explain the 2x3 hub the SSD was connected to? I'm not familiar with that term as I'm not a hardware guru.

#9 nihilisticky

nihilisticky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:46 PM

Might have something to do with the fact that I just invented the phrase.

I took a picture in case of need. The white/baby blue ports is where SSD is and HDD eventually moved to. BTW I vacuumed my PC 2 days ago :/ Not much results without air-can.

veTMPI5.jpg

Edited by nihilisticky, 16 March 2018 - 07:49 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:50 PM

Okay, I understand now, thanks. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users