Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS version & its affects on hardware

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 kristi4

kristi4

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:17 PM

A couple o' months back I was experiencing lots of problems, hanging, crashing, way slow startup, BSOD, so I did a clean install of Windows 10 & most of the probs are back except the BSOD, (oh, & the addition of some Bit-locker error even though I have Home edition). Anyway, I have been thinking drivers all along & still am. (Also thinking about Linux.... A lot!).... So I may do another clean install. I thought maybe updating the BIOS first might be the way to go. Whelp, looking up this & looking up that light started dawning on marble head & finally I get to the core issue/question -

I have an Asus Q302LA - recommended BIOS version 203 via the Asus site 

I never bothered looking at the specs via the site & for some reason today I did....

According to Asus the Q302 has an i3-4030

However.... mine has an i5-4210. The notebook I found on Asus that has this processor recommends BIOS version 306.

So my question is will my updating the BIOS to the proper processor possibly conflict with the older hardware?

I presume the drivers would be Intel drivers according to the processor & Asus drivers according to the notebook version....

Thank you....

Edited by kristi4, 16 March 2018 - 02:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:49 PM

motherboards can support many different models of processors i3-4xxx & i5-4xxx are both 4th generation processors so the bios should support either chip.

the website says that model comes with either the i3 or i5.  so you should be good with your bios upgrade.

#3 kristi4

kristi4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:32 PM

motherboards can support many different models of processors i3-4xxx & i5-4xxx are both 4th generation processors so the bios should support either chip.

the website says that model comes with either the i3 or i5.  so you should be good with your bios upgrade.

Makes sense. & it is just occurring to me that my processor was the first one intel came out with that has the hyper-threading boost aspect. Here nor there? I dunno. I've never updated a BIOS before & although I am typically (to the point of stupidity sometimes) not intimidated by computers, there seems to be a lot of taboo around updating this. Anywho, think I'll make a couple of BIOS jumps cuz that's quite the leap from 203 to 306. I think the 200 series ends at 212. so maybe I'll do that first. Thank you.... :)

Edited by kristi4, 16 March 2018 - 05:12 PM.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:38 PM

you could look at the update log for each version (and read them all, they are progressive and maintain previous fixes for each upgrade to the next) and see what issues the bios upgrade is addressing and see if it's related to anything your having issues with.

and usually the rule is: if it's not broken don't fix it, if it is broken and upgrade can't hurt.

Edited by mightywiz, 16 March 2018 - 05:38 PM.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:35 PM

Many who start having problems with Windows think that a BIOS update will fix it, or at least make it better. In reality, unless you have a very specific reason, it will not make a bit of difference whatsoever. In the majority of cases the original problems will still be there because the problem is in your OS, not your BIOS.

Be very careful when you flash your BIOS. If it goes wrong, you can brick your computer. I suggest you investigate other ways of fixing whatever problems you have first, before taking this drastic action. There are many things that can cause the problems you listed and the BIOS is not one of them.

Once the BIOS is corrupted, you could have a major task to try and correct it.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,740 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:09 PM

What version of Windows 10 are you on?

Have you tested your Hard Drive?  Hard Drives are always the first to go bad, so we should always check this first.

SeaTools For Windows Download

SeaTools For Windows Guide

Not that you need it, but the BIOS that I see for you computer would be this one if you are on the US site.  What site are you on, for what country?

Version 212
2015/12/102.33 MBytes
BIOS 212
Update microcode to version 22

If all else is running well no need to update the BIOS.  This is why we should know what version of Windows 10 you are on.  Sometimes Windows will not update do to a needed BIOS Upgrade, but does not seem to be the case with you as far as I can tell now.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 kristi4

kristi4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:27 PM

What version of Windows 10 are you on?

Have you tested your Hard Drive?  Hard Drives are always the first to go bad, so we should always check this first.

SeaTools For Windows Download

SeaTools For Windows Guide

Not that you need it, but the BIOS that I see for you computer would be this one if you are on the US site.  What site are you on, for what country?

Version 212
2015/12/102.33 MBytes
BIOS 212
Update microcode to version 22

If all else is running well no need to update the BIOS.  This is why we should know what version of Windows 10 you are on.  Sometimes Windows will not update do to a needed BIOS Upgrade, but does not seem to be the case with you as far as I can tell now.

I have not tested the HD. Will do. & before I launch into my confusion, where did you obtain that info? Well, I'll launch a little & answer your question. I got mine from the ASUS.com by referring to the only Q302 make they have on the site. Then there are two models, the i3 & the i5. Mine is not that make or model though. Mine is a hybrid Q302LA, which ASUS does not have support for & it has a different i5. I am finding info elsewhere which states I should have the 212, however my BIOS manager will not allow the update.

I am also getting Event 37 task (7) - The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. 4 errors in a row naming processor 1, 2 & 3 as well.

Windows version 16299

#8 kristi4

kristi4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:04 PM

SMART check & short drive passed....

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,740 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:10 PM

I believe that I got the right one, and that the Q302 that you are seeing at their site covers all the Q models.  But now it seems you are saying that is not the right CPU either?  If you start at the beginning and go through all the choices as to what laptop it is you will end up at the Q302 page.  It looks like it covers multiple models but does not make that clear..at all...not even in the Manual.  This is what I entered:

q302la

Laptops

QSeries

Then the only other option is the Q302 and no LA.

The BIOS won't allow the update because it is not the correct BIOS Update.

Tell us if this is your computer specs

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/Q302/specifications/

This is the Driver page where I got the BIOS info.

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/Q302/HelpDesk_Download/

This is the Manual that covers those computers

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/T300LA/0409_E9188_A.pdf?_ga=2.174976609.2144733841.1521322697-1519826128.1521322697

Also, if you want, it's always good to have a Speccy Chart to allow others to help you easier.  Use THIS TUTORIAL by dc3 to create it and post it.  This will tell us lots of info that will help diagnose your situation.

Please start with the Hard Drive test, if you need help just say so.  You can leave SeaTools for Windows on your computer, it is a good program to have on board.  Do the Short Test, and if that passes then do the Long Test.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 kristi4

kristi4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:31 AM

That is not my system. This is what I am saying, yet having troubles getting it across. I have been going to the Q302 model on the ASUS site & the choices are ix-4xxx or ix-5xxx. Well, mine is an i5-4210u, so I have been picking the first option. Never questioned it other than slightly wondering why there wasn't a LA model. When the problems started amping up I looked at the specs & realized my model was not covered.

I decided to do the long test before I turned in last night & an hour later it was at 0%. I shut it down thinking I must'a messed it up. I was tired & did not read the instructions, however I will & also welcome any pointers. I imagine running this means I need to leave the computer be while it's doing the test?
Once I have had coffee I will fire her up & get the speccy report posted. Sounds like a good way to go instead of my long winded explanations -
I ran a motherboard detector from American megatrends & it came back with ASUSTek, no other info. Now I understand you are steering me away from the BIOS thing. I get that & appreciate it very much. I have no doubt you know wsy better than me when & if an update should be attempted. It is more about this whole model confusion & the conflicting update info I am getting as I have researched other update sites. I understand updating through 3rd party sites is not smart, however I have been using them for cross referencing info. The majority state that my make & model should have the 212. Again, not fixated on updating it. However maybe there are other things, like drivers, that have been updated incorrectly? I dunno.... just sayin'. K. I am gonna shut up now....

#11 kristi4

kristi4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:07 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5AJ4jancsFFSZZKrDnQUyA2

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:44 AM

Regarding your Processor error:

https://www.wintips.org/fix-speed-of-processor-in-group-is-being-limited-by-system-firmware-event-id-37-solved/

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,740 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

Thanks

I see what you are saying about the model and cpu now.  Are there any other numbers on the laptop, like under the battery bay, if there is a battery bay?  I wonder if your internet connection is good.  Are your noticing any glitches in internet? 

I see that you already have the 203 BIOS Update Installed so that must be why it is failing, so your all good there.

Brand: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: Q302LA.203
Date: 5/15/2014

The Long SeaTools Test will take hours depending on your hdd size, and yes, it will say 0% for a while.

You can run this tool to see if it will fix any integrity problems.

DISM Deployment Image Servicing and Management

Run from an Elevated Command Prompt, meaning Right Click Run As Administrator.

Run this one to see if there is corruption:
		1. Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth 
			It appears to stall out, then appears to Stall Out again at 20% but let it keep going.

Run this one to Check if the Image can be repaired:
		2. Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
			CheckHealth also seems to Stall Out so just let it run.

Run this one to Repair the Image:
		3. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

4. Then run "sfc /scannow" from an elevated Command Prompt, meaning Run As Administrator.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 kristi4

kristi4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:10 AM

Thank you. I had happened upon this & had updated the drivers mentioned. Now that the BIOS has been set back to default, do I want fast boot enabled? I think this was a confusion (on my end) when you helped me do the clean install. I believe you put disable it, but then there was an edit to disable something through windows. I suppose I could go back & look, eh?  :idea:

#15 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:37 AM

You need to get the bios for the model number of your laptop.

From Speccy, you have a "Asus Q302LA" but your not showing the entire model number (which what you need to get the right bios)

It should be Asus Q302LA-xxxxxxx (where the x's are the rest of your model number) Look on the bottom (most likely place)or inside the battery holder. If you do not see it there then boot into your bios to get your entire model number.

Yes... you should be able to enable fast boot in your bios but fast boot in Windows 10 is known to cause problems

Edited by Joe C, 18 March 2018 - 11:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users