Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee Community Support Sadly Lacking Since Volunteer Mods Fired

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ex_Brit

Ex_Brit

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:45 AM

Unlike their competitors' Communities, McAfee has chosen to fire all their volunteer (unpaid) Moderators whose combined knowledge has helped thousands of people over the years.
Instead they have opted to staff their community with their already over-worked third-party support staff.
The result is frustrating for many posters as they get stock answers and their threads are immediately marked solved simply because someone has answered with something like "Contact Support at .......".
In some cases the thread is locked so nothing can be questioned.
This apparently was an intentional move by some department at the company during the Intel takeover days and it is already causing some posted complaints, which are quickly removed from public view by whomever.
I confess I was one of those volunteers and was let go over a year ago because I was expressing "too much" concern over community safety.  (Customers' private details were being posted and nobody seemed to care).
Have any of you experienced problems there?    It would be interesting to hear from people in a  forum that is outside the sphere of the software makers.
If the Moderators here think this is too risky to post, I will quite understand.  This is only the 2nd site I've tried with this as I feel it should get out there.

Peter
Toronto, Canada

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:54 AM

Instead they have opted to staff their community with their already over-worked third-party support staff

Sounds like when avast was using Yogi for support where you called in and Yogi wanted to sell you a support package.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 March 2018 - 11:54 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:46 PM

When choosing an anti-virus program, firewall or any other security software, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor or related community support forum is always a consideration. Lack of adequate Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of a vendor's product is one reason folks look for other alternatives. If it is a paid product, folks speak with their wallets.

That is what happened with avast.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Ex_Brit

Ex_Brit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:02 PM

True.

I want to stress that the unpaid Mods were very hard working and due to their locations, provided a 24/7 coverage.
They were marginalised to the point of irrelevance and eventually were axed, and the current paid mods aren't doing a good job in their place.  Many posts go unanswered and spam is allowed to accumulate. Posts meant for Business or Home products are often mixed up.....total chaos.
Yoiu have to realise that most forums are answered by volunteers with the odd employee dropping in from time to time to assist usually when asked.
I was hoping someone here who has experienced this would spot my post.

Edited by Ex_Brit, 16 March 2018 - 06:41 PM.

Peter
Toronto, Canada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users