Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scammer changed "normal startup" configuration in msconfig

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AGuyWithAName

AGuyWithAName

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:23 AM

This week marks the second time I've seen this happen (once in Windows 7 once in Windows 10). After a client fell victim to a tech support scammer the computer always boots into safe mode with command line. If you run msconfig and select "normal startup" in the "General" tab this will not remove the safe mode settings. Instead what I have done is choose "selective startup" and just uncheck safe mode. 

I tried to look this up last time this happened (maybe a month ago) and just now but my Google-fu is failing me and I haven't been able to find anyone who even reports the same issue. I can make it work but clearly whatever defines "normal startup" has been changed. (maybe an .ini somewhere?) I'd like to fix the problem itself and not just slap on a band aid. Any advice in this regard would be appreciated.

Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:38 AM

Did you check the MBR? Sounds like it may have been altered. Try running BOOTREC /FIXMBR

Edited by ranchhand_, 16 March 2018 - 08:40 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 AGuyWithAName

AGuyWithAName
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:19 AM

That's a good idea unfortunately I do not have the computer any more I did the work on site. Next time this comes up I will definitely give that a try. Thanks for your reply.

Can you think of how they might have changed that? Mostly I'm just curious because I don't know how one might go about changing the MBR.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:35 AM

On Windows 7 and later, things get complicated. Windows XP was easy, you could access the MBR and literally edit it and save. Not so any more. In addition, MBR will only work on drives up to 2TB, whereas the newer GPT with UEFI now is pretty much unlimited.

Best to study up on it, this will help get you started.

https://www.howtogeek.com/245610/how-to-check-if-a-disk-uses-gpt-or-mbr-and-how-to-convert-between-the-two/

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 AGuyWithAName

AGuyWithAName
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:04 PM

Cheers, thanks for the great replies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users