Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can law enforcement request cookie data from websites like facebook ?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DellKeyboard

DellKeyboard

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:34 AM

Sites like facebook, newspaper websites, ... use cookies which give them a lot of browsing information. Search websites like google log everything too, linked with our IP-adress. They probably keep it forever, whereas ISP's in my country are not required to store these data for more than 1 year. The ISP's probably discard them, as it's too much too log.

If police want browsing data of a suspect, can they request browsing history data older than 1 year from these sites ?

In Europe Facebook faces huge fines because of their breach of privacy through cookies, so wouldn't those data be unlawfully acquired ? I've never read about law enforcement doing this, probably because it's unlikely that old browsing data yield more evidence than new data.

I'm considering to terminate my FB account, I mean, FB knows everything what I search on the internet, that's insane :(

Edited by hamluis, 16 March 2018 - 07:58 AM.
Moved from Gen Security to Gen Chat - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:41 AM

If police want browsing data of a suspect, can they request browsing history data older than 1 year from these sites ?

if law enforcement think an online crime has been committed they can request data, but most websites wouldn't keep logs longer then 3 months.....its more common for a WEBSITE to report a crime to the police, then police coming to a website looking,

if police think an individual has committed an online crime its more common for law enforcement to get a search warrant from a court and they would go to a suspects home or business and seize their computers and phones......this would give them their internet history for as long back as the computer was used.....

What are you afraid of?.....if you havn't done anything wrong i see no reason to get rid of all your accounts.....

you might want to google "government data requests" and do some reading

Edited by hamluis, 16 March 2018 - 09:54 AM.

#3 DellKeyboard

DellKeyboard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:05 AM

Probably not ... most browsers log only a few months of browsing history. It seems very unlikely that a 3 year used-computer would still have browsing data from the beginning ...

Edited by hamluis, 16 March 2018 - 09:53 AM.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:27 AM

law enforcement can find EVERYTHING you have done on your computer.....even if you re-format your drive they can still find it!

they wouldn't bother going to website owners to track you.....that would take too long.....they would go directly to "the belly of the beast" and seize all your electronic devices and use the findings as evidence......

its more common then most people think.....happened to a close friend of mine.....

he was innocent and somebody was using his WIFI to commit fraud.....police knocked on his door at 11pm at night, he answered thinking their was a problem in the area or something, they came in and took his computers and phones.....

he was cleared of all charges because they found nothing, but it was still a huge hassle him not having his phone or computers for 4-6 weeks

again......what are you worried about?

Edited by hamluis, 16 March 2018 - 09:54 AM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:15 AM

facebook is tracking you and everyone else who isn't using NoScript to block their scripts in web pages....not just cookies.

It is not only facebook...I sometimes see as many as 40 scripts being blocked by NoScript on web pages. It takes quiet a bit of

effort to completely be anonymous...if that is even possible for home computers.

A screenshot of what is allowed by me and what scripts are being blocked when viewing your topic:

hoKbki7.png

I don't have a facebook account.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:29 AM

facebook is tracking you and everyone else who isn't using NoScript to block their scripts in web pages....not just cookies.

It is not only facebook...I sometimes see as many as 40 scripts being blocked by NoScript on web pages. It takes quiet a bit of

effort to completely be anonymous...if that is even possible for home computers.

another reason not to use facebook.....

i don't use any social media....facebook, twitter, etc etc.....dont have any need for it, i just don't see the point in it....why would i want to advertise everything i do in life to the public?.....what i WANT to share with friends, i send through email

#7 MarkMackerel

MarkMackerel

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:15 PM

A screenshot of what is allowed by me and what scripts are being blocked when viewing your topic:

hoKbki7.png

I don't have a facebook account.

Nice post. I use Ublock Origin which blocks a lot of scripts.

These scripts are probably capable of turning on your webcam and taking vids/pics, turning on your mic, extracting data from your machine etc. You can't be too careful.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:32 AM

If the law in a particular allows law enforcement to request such data, then certainly they can ask for it. However, in some cases a request for information may require a subpoena.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Chertoff

Chertoff

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:33 AM

Yep, if you have done any wrong activity they can.

#10 DellKeyboard

DellKeyboard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:47 PM

Not too sure about that ... I've never heard of such a case. (In which they requested cookie data.)

They probably don't even think of it, as they focus on the computer itself, and maybe google queries. As they did with the Austin bomber case.

#11 DellKeyboard

DellKeyboard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:51 PM

law enforcement can find EVERYTHING you have done on your computer.....even if you re-format your drive they can still find it!

they wouldn't bother going to website owners to track you.....that would take too long.....they would go directly to "the belly of the beast" and seize all your electronic devices and use the findings as evidence......

its more common then most people think.....happened to a close friend of mine.....

he was innocent and somebody was using his WIFI to commit fraud.....police knocked on his door at 11pm at night, he answered thinking their was a problem in the area or something, they came in and took his computers and phones.....

he was cleared of all charges because they found nothing, but it was still a huge hassle him not having his phone or computers for 4-6 weeks

again......what are you worried about?

You are exaggerating, data that has been overwritten a few times are unrecoverable, probably even with expensive forensic tools.

What I'm worried about ? Do you like the idea of the government being able to find out what you googled 5 years ago ?

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:08 PM

Source: How to stop Google from tracking you and delete your personal data | WIRED UK

Probably the least surprising of the lot, but Google has all of your search history stored up.

How to delete it: If you'd rather not have a list of ridiculous search queries stored up, then head to Google's history page, click Menu (the three vertical dots) and then hit Advanced -> All Time -> Delete.

If you want to stop Google tracking your searches for good, head to the activity controls page and toggle tracking off.

If you've used any of Google's opt-in voice features for yourself, then head to Google's Voice & Audio Activity page to review your voice searches and listen back to them. Be warned, this could be interesting, funny or just plain cringe-worthy.

To delete this database of embarrassing searches select one or more of the recordings from the check box beside them and then click "delete" at the top of the screen.

208285.png

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,623 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

If one is concerned about search engines tracking you there are several that don't.  I've been using DuckDuckGo for a long time now because it doesn't.  (And that's purely on principle.  I don't care whether someone has something to hide or not, what little bits of privacy we can still hold on to while interacting with cyberspace are worth holding on to.  They're few and far between.)

However, when it comes to posting anything on the worldwide web, the moment you release it "to the wild" you should presume that it will become public knowledge (at least if someone is determined to make it so, and sometimes not even then).

Edited by britechguy, 24 March 2018 - 07:32 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#14 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:42 AM

Do you like the idea of the government being able to find out what you googled 5 years ago ?

it certainly wouldn't bother me......i don't have anything to hide.....you on the other hand, sound like you do

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:55 AM

It's not a matter of whether someone has something to hide or not. It's more a matter of government & the Big Tech industry involving itself in our privacy and all aspects of our daily life which many folks are opposed to...at least in the USA. That is one of several reasons I do not use any social media.

What I do, what I say, where I go, etc is none of their business.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users