Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

University network, viruses and protecting my MacBook?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 poppityping

poppityping

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:00 AM

Hi

I don't know too much about networking and security...so I'm hoping this isn't too dumb a question to ask.

I use my own MacBook on a secured network (I have to log in using my university login details). However, I've now heard that the actual network is so slow because it is heavily laden with viruses (I don't know what kind). It's only a small university. I don't know how good the virus protection is, even though it's one of the best brands (I can't remember which one is on the desktops though). Obviously, pretty much everyone has their own laptops with them that they use to connect to the wifi. There are also some computer labs with desktop computers (I guess they're directly linked to the network). All the desktop computers are PCs, if that matters. These desktops are terribly slow.

First question, is it possible for my Mac to catch a virus through the university network? I haven't directly connected computers with anyone. I haven't seen any issue with my Mac that would lead me to believe that there was any issue...but I guess I'm just wondering if it was possible (or likely?) and how I could tell if any infection had happened?

I have only just realised that my AirDrop was set to allow me to be discovered by everyone...but I haven't been notified of any air drops. I normally have it on Contacts Only, but was having an issue transferring between my phone and my laptop and forgot to change it back.

Hoping someone can help explain this to me :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 STS-1

STS-1

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:26 AM

So a few things:

#1- Check with the IT department at your school to see if you can use your own anti-virus program, as running more than one can be very detrimental to your system

#2- With the growing popularity of Mac computers, "bad guys" are now writing viruses that target specifically Macs

#3- Even if it is a virus that is not designed for Mac, it is possible to be infected, and then have it spread to Windows PCs on any other network you connect to

#4- Many virus provides offer packages that cover support for Macs ( I use Bitdefender and they have one, so does Malwarebytes)

#5- If the network is insanely slow due to "viruses" then the AV solution that you are using is not doing it's job and should be reviewed ( Anyone can correct me if I am wrong, but I would be looking more at the IT infrastructure of the facility (Cabling, Hardware etc)

Hope that helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users