Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Does Pressing on Laptop Screen Fix Flicker & Green Cast?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dgrrr

dgrrr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:19 PM

(Sony Vaio laptop, Win10 (originally Win7), model vpcf126fm, service tag c605gwxd, CPU i7 1.73ghz, 6gb RAM.)

This laptop screen shows weird colors (e.g. green where black should be), and it flickers in some contexts. (the Knoppix desktop looked like a wormhole animation!)

FYI, an external monitor hooked up to the vga port looks fine, so I assume it's the laptop screen, not video card.  Also, I completely reformatted the drive and put in a fresh copy of Windows 10, and this didn't change anything. 

But when I pressed on the laptop screen, the problem went away; the image was normal. So I kept pressing here and there, and the problem returned. Kept pressing more, til the image was normal again.

Ppl report the same thing here:

Can anyone estimate what's going on physically inside the laptop? (If you answer "loose cable", can you specify which connection?)

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:01 PM

There are usually two connections, the video signal from the main board ( a flat ribbon cable from the board, through the hinge area) and the power source for the backlight.  The flat cable is prone to kinking but that doesn't appear to be this fault.  Pressing on the display element is changing the physical position of the connector in some way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users