Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I remove a virus I either picked it up on FB or Youtube

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 leapfrog22

leapfrog22

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:27 PM

I have a firewall but don't know how to set it properly.  I picked up the virus from  FB when I friended this guy or on his Youtube channel.  He kept posting about stuff I had just looked at but now I am sure he has somehow gotten into my computer.  The firewall did mention one issue.  Would setting it back to factory settings fix the problem?  He is bragging he figured out a problem but I know the website that the solution is posted on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Oh My!

Oh My!

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 37,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:52 PM

Greetings leapfrog22 and :welcome: to BleepingComputer's Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum.

My name is Oh My! and I am here to help you! Now that we are "friends" please call me Gary.

If you would allow me to call you by your first name I would prefer to do that.

===================================================

Ground Rules:
  • First, I would like to inform you that most of us here at Bleeping Computer offer our expert assistance out of the goodness of our hearts. Please try to match our commitment to you with your patience toward us. If this was easy we would never have met.
  • Please do not run any tools or take any steps other than those I will provide for you while we work on your computer together. I need to be certain about the state of your computer in order to provide appropriate and effective steps for you to take. Most often "well intentioned" (and usually panic driven!) independent efforts can make things much worse for both of us. If at any point you would prefer to take your own steps please let me know, I will not be offended. I would be happy to focus on the many others who are waiting in line for assistance.
  • Please perform all steps in the order they are listed in each set of instructions. Some steps may be a bit complicated. If things are not clear, be sure to stop and let me know. We need to work on this together with confidence.
  • Please copy and paste all logs into your post unless directed otherwise. Please do not re-run any programs I suggest. If you encounter problems simply stop and tell me.
  • If you do not reply to your topic after 5 days we assume it has been abandoned and I will close it.
  • When your computer is clean I will alert you of such. I will also provide for you detailed information about how you can combat future infections.
  • I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so.
===================================================

Now that I am assisting you, you can expect that I will be very responsive to your situation. If you are able, I would request you check this thread at least once per day so that we can try to resolve your issues effectively and efficiently. If you are going to be delayed please be considerate and post that information so that I know you are still with me. Unfortunately, there are many people waiting to be assisted and not enough of us at BleepingComputer to go around. I appreciate your understanding and diligence.

Thank you for your patience thus far.

Now that you have already started a topic please follow the relevant steps as outlined here. Make sure to copy and paste both logs in your reply. If you receive an error message the content is too long simply post each report in a separate reply.
Gary

If I do not reply within 24 hours please send me a Personal Message.

"May you be richly rewarded by the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge."

#3 leapfrog22

leapfrog22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:30 PM

Thank you I will read the article.  I am using a public computer now so it may take me a while.  They only let you use the computer a hour a day.

#4 leapfrog22

leapfrog22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:36 PM

I don't know how to back up my data. I did try to copy the information to a memory stick like the instructions told me to before I used the computer.  Not sure if it worked.  It's kinds like driving a car.  I can drive the car but I'm not even sure how to check if the tires have enough air.  This is a bad situation.

#5 leapfrog22

leapfrog22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:48 PM

The firewall setup made no sense to me.  Can I just leave the settings to let the internet thru?

#6 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,397 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:07 PM

Greetings.

Let's just worry about running the FRST scan for now and we will go from there. Copy and paste both reports in your reply. If you are told the content is too long you can post one report per reply. If necessary you can attach the reports.

Gary

"May you be richly rewarded by the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge."

#7 leapfrog22

leapfrog22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:23 PM

Alright thank you.  I've tried to reset my computer back to factory settings but apparently like I saw on the Youtube video but the factory reset has changed to something about reinstalling files.  SO much for my first plan.  I was wondering if there is a place to report it to Youtube too or do they care?

#8 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,397 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:20 PM

Greetings.

I doubt Youtube cares. You are better off using other references, like Microsoft.

Gary

#9 leapfrog22

leapfrog22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:29 PM

Well that's disappointing.  There has to be other computer clueless people he is following around.  So I will read what is recommended first. Thank you.

#10 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,397 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:09 PM

Are you going to continue with the Reset or do you want to post the FRST scan reports?
Gary

#11 leapfrog22

leapfrog22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:52 PM

I reset both my computers back but the Windows 8 says there is an issue.  That showed up in a bleep before I was even connected to the internet.  I am computer illiterate so it takes me forever to do anything.  Sorry.  I am printing out the Frst instuctions today.  Thank you.

#12 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,397 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

No problem, if you have questions feel free to stop and ask.
Gary

#13 leapfrog22

leapfrog22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:45 PM

Thank you.  I do have a quik question is this where I would post my results from FRST?  Is there a way I could post it in private since I know who my hacker is and  he is fooling around with candles and tarot cards. Do not want to fool around with someone in witchcraft.

#14 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,397 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:52 PM

Yes, this is where it needs to be posted.
Gary

#15 leapfrog22

leapfrog22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:12 PM

Ok now this guy is looking for the person that created a meme and is saying he will find the person.  I really have to think about this if this will be out in the open.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users