Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Drive Restrictions In Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 robertjohn81

robertjohn81

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:17 PM

Hi Guys, 

I'm having a problem with using a USB pen drive with windows 10.

I've used the pen drive for a while with no problems.

Now, when i try to edit the contents of the drive, im getting the " action interrupted " message telling me that the disc is write protected and to use another disk. 

I've tried to format the drive to no avail. 

I believe that the restriction to pen drives was part of the security of the Windows 10 upgrade. 

I've tried changing the write access in the registry, however it appears to already be set to " enable " 

Having read online, I believe it is possible to edit this in the group policy, but following the guides online, using the gpedit.msc console, 

i don't seem to have the same level of options as the online guide suggests - the screen shots below should outline this. 

Having run several scans, i believe I am virus and malware free, and all scans on the drive itself suggest is working fine and free from errors. 

I'd very much appreciate some help on this one. 

Thanks Kindly, 

Rob

Attach 1 - Action Interrupted

Attach 2 - Online demonstration of gpedit.msc

Attach 3 - Gpedit.msc as it appears on my machine

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:50 PM

When a USB flash drive marks itself read only it's done. Because Group Policy Editor was set to write access but you still cannot write to the drive the USB flash drive is faulty.

The only way to possibly fix the drive is to flash new firmware if it can be found. Sandisk had a big issue with firmware faults.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/Sandisk-cruzer-16GB-became-read-only/td-p/255218

Fake extra large capacity USB flash drives can also go read only when attempting to write past the original size.

#3 robertjohn81

robertjohn81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:09 PM

@JohnC_21

Thanks very much for your reply. Glad to see its not something i'm alone in. 

I know flash drives are cheap as chips, so i don't mind buying another - it just feels like a waste given this one is a 64GB drive and not all that old. 

The problems only seem to have arisen around the time of the windows 10 upgrade, but i'm curious - the drive has also spent time moving from a windows laptop, to an android tablet and also to a PS3. 

Is it possible that the moving between operating systems has had any effect on it ??

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:10 PM

I agree, throw that one away and buy some more.

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 15 March 2018 - 04:11 PM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:24 PM

I don't believe moving between OS's would cause a drive to go read only.  I am almost positive you will get an error doing the following but you have nothing to lose. Backup any data you need off the drive before doing the commands.

Open an elevated command prompt and type the following commands.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X                Where X is the number associated with the flash drive. Be absolutely sure you are selecting the correct number

clean all                       This will attempt to zero wipe the drive. That is why you need to be sure you selected the correct disk number.

create partition primary

format fs=ntfs

exit

#6 robertjohn81

robertjohn81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:57 PM

Thanks again for your help John, but as you suspected, there was an I/O error in relation tot he selected disk. 

I'm resigned to the fact that its the drive itself that has imposed the write protection in an attempt to save data loss and not as i originally suspected, a problem with windows 10 !

Its a trivial issue in the scheme of things, and I was really just looking for an answer as much as a resolution. I won't waste anymore of mine, or your time on it. 

Thanks once again, 

Kind Regards, 

Rob

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:07 PM

Your Welcome, 

Best Buy currently is selling a 64GB USB 3 Sandisk for $20.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,660 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:19 PM

Just as a final note, based strictly on the title of the topic, Windows 10 does not impose any restrictions on USB drives that are any different than any other version of Windows does.

When they're functional they're "plug n' play" just like they always have been (unless you're on a machine controlled by a central administrator that forbids their use via Group Policy, and that doesn't count, in my opinion).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users