Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Elementary Autocad for beginners

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Sam

Magic Sam

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

May I ask the Forum if software exists that would help with the following:

I need to design one or more exhibition stands starting with a basic floorplan.  This involves placing various shaped bits of furniture (tables, chairs, cupboards ..) into a delimited 2-D area, and moving them around to ensure that when everything is in place there is still enough space on the stand for personnel and visitors alike to squeeze in. I would need to share the results digitally with the stand contractor though not in real time.

Something which no doubt Autocad could do without really trying except that I don't have either Autocad software or the proficiency to use it.  Excel might do it except that moving "shapes" around is not what it was designed for.

Does anyone know of something simple that would achieve this, ideally a free download  in view of the very limited no of times I would use it? Or is the hi-tec answer a notepad, ruler and a sharp pencil?

Tks if anyone can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 546 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:03 PM

Have no idea but if you happen to be using Windows 10, looks like Windows has a free app available that might work:
https://planner5d.com/blog/cLTG/windows-10-users-can-create-floor-plans-and-interior-designs-easily
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:21 PM

Have not used this. 

http://www.sweethome3d.com/features.jsp

#4 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback.  Having asked I have been told that it is not possible to "extract" the W10 app and add it to my W7, which would have been the ideal solution.  I was going to pursue sweethome when someone recommended RoomSketcher which probably does much the same thing and which is now on my list of solutions to investigate.

#5 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 546 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:41 PM

Best of luck, hope something works for you. If all else fails, you can always reach for that ruler, paper & pencil. :)
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#6 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:11 PM

... assuming that the RPP app is included in W7.

#7 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:56 PM

Have not used this. 

http://www.sweethome3d.com/features.jsp

I'm trying this now ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic