Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does ALL Backup SW Write the Same Big File to 2 Different Drives?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ConfusedGuyinVA

ConfusedGuyinVA

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

This is about backup software used to perform incremental backups on a Win 7 x64 desktop to store on a Seagate Backup Plus 3TB external drive. 

The Seagate comes with its own software, which I believe comes from Nero (Backitup?). Unfortunately, for every .nbi backup file it saves on the Seagate (F), it also saves a copy of that exact same .nbi file to the system drive (C) in a user folder.

Each .nbi is about 195,000 KB, so my little 75 GB SSD system drive fills up every week, necessitating my manually deleting the duplicate .nbi files from the system drive every week. 

Seagate is zero help with this support-wise & each update of their software has continued this duplication scheme. 

Does ALL backup software put the same big backup file in both the system drive AND the external storage drive? 

If not, which do you KNOW will not do this. Thanks!!

Edited by hamluis, 15 March 2018 - 01:36 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:38 PM

No, not all backup software put the backup files on the system and storage drive. 

Look at Easeus Todo Backup Free. It does file/folder backup as well as disk and system image backups, both incremental and differential. It also allows you to create bootable media so you can recover a backed up image to a failed drive or a drive that no longer boots.

Than being said there may be some setting that needs to be set in order to prevent your backups from going to both devices.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 March 2018 - 02:02 PM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:19 PM

Macrium Reflect 6 or 7 free version, AOMEI Backupper free version, and many others which are also free will do the job, making only one backup image (per hard-drive or partition) in the location you specify -- which as you implied earlier, should only be onto external media.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users