Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Updates - Home or Pro?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:58 AM

Hi,

I currently use Windows 7 Pro and I have set it to be notified of updates, which I can then install manually through Windows Update.

I hope to get a new PC soon, which will run Windows 10.  Would getting the Pro version (instead of Home) have any advantages regarding control of updates?  e.g. disabling or deferring updates.

Also, how often roughly are Windows 10 updates delivered?  At the moment I normally just get my Windows 7 updates once a month on patch Tuesday!

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:49 PM

Hi, the pro version gives you gpedit, allowing more control, Windows ten is seen by MS as a service, so updates are determined by the need for, security updates are particularly driven by the need for.

Generally if you use defender, and windows firewall, keep away from unneeded third party AV's, you will have little to no trouble with updates, while you see update problems, on forums such as this, millions of computers never modified by the user, have had no problems with updates. A word to the wise if you may.

#3 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:08 AM

Pro version usually have features designed for power user, which editions to get depends on whether you need these features. (Comparison between editions can be found online easily)

Win 10 Pro allows you to switch to CBB (now called semi-annual channel) that allows you to defer updates. Another great addition is gpedit as mentioned above post.

I have found out that you can stop windows update completely through gpedit, by disabling automatic updates. So Windows 10 Pro would be great choice for you.

When you disable windows update, you can still do update manually by checking for updates, but it won't be annoying.

Edited by richcbro, 16 March 2018 - 10:09 AM.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:42 AM

Hi, the pro version gives you gpedit, allowing more control, Windows ten is seen by MS as a service, so updates are determined by the need for, security updates are particularly driven by the need for.

Generally if you use defender, and windows firewall, keep away from unneeded third party AV's, you will have little to no trouble with updates, while you see update problems, on forums such as this, millions of computers never modified by the user, have had no problems with updates. A word to the wise if you may.

I agree. If I was using Windows 10 then I would not bother with 3rd party AVs. Defender on Windows 10 has very good detection.

https://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

#5 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for your replies.  I've looked at the extra Pro features, although I probably would not use most of them - it is mainly the updates that I am thinking about.  I will consider using Windows Defender too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users