Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDMI Splitter demands PC to be unplugged for other device to work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 reverse

reverse

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:24 AM

Hey there! I'm not sure this is the right place to ask about this, mostly because you could say the issue is not caused by a computer, but just in case this is caused by my ignorance I wanted to ask here anyway.

I am using a Hannsg HL226 HDMI Monitor for both my computer and a console (a Playstation 4).

This monitor only has one HDMI port, therefore whenever I want to switch between PC and PS4 I have to unplug one and plug in the other's HDMI cable to the Monitor.

In order to avoid this tedious problem (this Monitor's HDMI port is positioned in a ridiculously uncomfortable spot), I looked up "adapters" or anything that could solve this problem, and one of the first things that came in the results was this:

6de2e1e6a5.jpg

Because it was really cheap (model is Heroneo HDTV to 2F) and it looked like exactly what I was looking for, I bought it without thinking much of it and it finally arrived.

Unfortunately, this isn't working as I expected it to. Simply put, this is what happens:

• If PC is connected to it, Monitor works
  • If PS4 is connected to it, Monitor works
  • If PC and PS4 are both connected, and PC is on, Monitor works
  • If PC and PS4 are both connected, and PS4 is on, Monitor repeatedly turns on and off showing "no signal"
  • If PC and PS4 are both connected AND on, Monitor repeatedly turns on and off showing "no signal"

I did a bit of (late) research, and I see some sites mentioning how this is supposedly for sending the same HDMI signal to different screens as its main function, and that for what I need to do a Switcher is required, while what I ended up purchasing is a Splitter.

Is this the case? Did I simply buy the wrong item? Or is mine simply faulty? I simply want the two devices to work when the other one is off without having to manually switch HDMI ports, I don't need them both on ever, nor do I need to send any HDMI signal to multiple screens.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by reverse, 15 March 2018 - 08:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:52 AM

You can use that HDMI splitter, but you have to turn off one of the two devices to make it work the way you want it too, or get get a switch to auto-disable one while you use the other

Edited by Joe C, 15 March 2018 - 08:52 AM.

#3 reverse

reverse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:55 AM

You can use that HDMI splitter, but you have to turn off one of the two devices to make it work the way you want it too, or get get a switch to auto-disable one while you use the other

That's how I thought it would work, but it doesn't seem to be the case here: even when my PC is off, my PS4 won't get picked up by the monitor until I specifically unplug the PC's HDMI.

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:08 AM

Then a switch might be better for your set up.

I use a HDMI splitter too, but only use that so I can use my tv tuner card to watch hdmi tv channels from my cable co. This splitter strips hdcp "copyright" from my hdmi signal and allows me to watch hd tv on my pc. I never tried to use a second device on it

(although it is sold as a "splitter" I do not think it was truly designed to be used as a real "splitter" in that sense, but more like a hdcp stripper)

hdcp strippers are not legal, so I think many Chinese company's use these "splitters" as a legal way to side step the illegality of hdcp strippers, meaning it probably sux as a true splitter

If your PS4 uses hdcp (many console boxes do) and if your tv/monitor is not hdcp licensed, then that splitter will work to use it on your tv/monitor, you might need to add a switch before that splitter for using you pc and not use the splitter for the computer connection to the tv

Edited by Joe C, 15 March 2018 - 09:56 AM.

#5 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:53 AM

You should have checked the specs before you got that splitter:

• Support 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
  • Gold Plated Connectors For Better Signal Transfer
  • Allow To Connect HDMI Devices That Have Build In HDMI Ports, Like HDTV, Play Station 3, Upconvertor DVD Player, Satellite Boxes, LCD Monitor And Projectors
  • Can't Work With Two Displays At The Same Time, Please Be Cautious Before
  • Length: 30cm/11.81"

The reviews are not very good from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HeroNeo%C2%AE-Female-Splitter-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00PID4KDW

#6 reverse

reverse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:26 AM

I did read that, I'm just not sure what it means in this context.

I only have one display, my monitor, and I'm trying to connect two things to it that I don't need to be on at the same time.

Also, it only had one review on my version of amazon (different language), I guess I should have checked.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:51 AM

Many units, PCs and video devices (blue ray, playstations, nintendo)  still have voltages supplied to the HDMI ports even when powered off.  This is what is "holding off" the display when two devices are connected with the splitter.  As suggested, a switch is the proper choice.

#8 reverse

reverse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:53 AM

Many units, PCs and video devices (blue ray, playstations, nintendo)  still have voltages supplied to the HDMI ports even when powered off.  This is what is "holding off" the display when two devices are connected with the splitter.  As suggested, a switch is the proper choice.

Ah, that makes sense.

Thank you so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users