Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Reinstall Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bert1

Bert1

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:02 AM

Can someone out there please help me with this problem? I am on Windows XP IE8 and I accidently deleted Java from the Add/Remove list and can't get it to reinstall from Java. Is there some other source or way to get it back? Help! Thanks, B1.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 null__

null__

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:14 AM

You can go to this website (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/archive-139210.html), create an account and download and install whatever version you need.

#3 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,425 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

Hi Bert1,

Now a days, your typical home computer user doesn't need Java installed, which at one time was desperately needed for websites to be displayed properly. That is no longer the case. The chances of your typical home computer user encountered a website that would truly need Java to function is rare at best.

If I am not mistaken, many financial systems accessible online (such as personal tax systems, payroll gateways, and other such systems) use complex Java applications to allow end users to get a better experience with their financial tools. So if you are using your computer to access web-based financial applications like that, then you definitely need Java. Then again, since Windows XP is no longer supported, it would be risky to be accessing financial applications like that online anyway.

I had uninstalled Java a few years ago and have since found no need for it, so the choice is yours if you would like to reinstall or not. If the need ever arises, you will be notified that Java is needed at which time you could install, or you could reinstall and just disable Java till the moment arises that it is needed. Up to you. Personally, if you don't need it, don't install it. People have the misconception that "recommended" means they need it. They don't.

For the Java 8 download installer only (no bloatware included in the downloads), you can try to get that from the Ninite site if the other sites fail. You will need SP3 to be installed to obtain the download.

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#4 Bert1

Bert1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:52 AM

Hello DonnaB,

Thanks for your prompt and your very informative response, I really appreciate it. I am having a problem getting Ninite installed for Java. I keep getting this message:

"Could not verify installation (1),-3344"

Tried to redo the installation a number of times but it continued to fail. Tried to download it again and had the same installation message. The download shows in My Documents Folder, but that is all. I click on it and all it does is start the download over again with the same installation results. I might add I'm not the brightest bulb in the room when it comes to computers. Is there some way you know to get the installation completed? Hopfully and thanks again. B1

Edited by Bert1, 18 March 2018 - 09:08 AM.

#5 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,425 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:30 PM

Hi Bert1,

That is a new message/error code to me.

Have you been using the computer as you would on a normal basis? Did you notice that Java was not necessary or that you were not told by the sites that you visit that it was necessary?

Honestly, if you just use your computer for normal everyday browsing, reading, emails, etc. You don't need it. Java is a thing of the past and for those with programming skills {which I do not possess).

Quietman7 said it best here. Please read his post that I linked you to.

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#6 Bert1

Bert1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:32 PM

Hello DonnaB,

OK, I will go with your advice which I appreciate and forget about Java. I was concerned about it because of video link ups and other problems I have that might have had something to do with it in my novice mind.  

I sure do thank you though for your interest and help. Hope I will get in contact with you here again on any other PC problem I might have in the future. Your detailed information was great. Thanks again. B1

#7 Bert1

Bert1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:02 PM

Null, thanks for your information, but after some advice and consideration I decided to forgo any further pursuit of getting Java reinstalled as it isn't needed for my use. But thanks again for your response. Sorry for the delayed thanks. B1

Edited by Bert1, 19 March 2018 - 03:06 PM.

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:04 AM

Should you ever need to reinstall/update your Java and if the installation/update misbehaves you can use JavaRa to effectively remove all traces of Java, then reinstall:

https://singularlabs.com/software/javara/javara-2-0-documentation/

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users