Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lan Gone Down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ju Ju

Ju Ju

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:26 PM

Dear all,

I have a network with desktop, laptop and Netgear DG834G router. Suddenly since yesterday, the laptop is not connecting (the desktop internet connection is still ok.) On the laptop, 'My Network connections' shows that the Intel Pro 2200bg network adapter is 'not connected'. If I right click / repair it tells me 'Make sure your network adapter is properly installed'. If I right click / properties / configure on the Intel Pro it tells me ' this device is working properly' and the driver is up to date.

About the time it went down I installed on the laptop 'Xdrive desktop' from www.xdrive.com. This caused something called a 'Microsoft Loopback Adapter' to appear on my network connections. I don't know if this had anything to do with the problem but anyway I uninstalled it but the problem is still here.

Any suggestions please? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:10 AM

Try removing and then plugging in the cables again. Does that help at all? Also how is this setup ...is the router using dhcp to assign your computers ip addresses or are you static?

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:26 AM

1. CHeck the device manager to ensure that the correct drivers are installed.
2. Check network connections to ensure that the connection is not bridged.
3. from a command prompt type ipconfig /flushdns (enter)
4. Let us know your results.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 Ju Ju

Ju Ju
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:50 AM

OK after trying various things, I have fixed it. I have learned that one of the function keys (F2) turns off the adapter (not sure what the point of that is). So sometimes I use F1 to hibernate and I guess that one time I must have hit F2 by mistake. There wasn't any message asking 'are you sure you want to turn off your network adapter?' and it doesn't indicate in control panel etc that is is turned off by user. :thumbsup: Anyway thanx for your help. :flowers:

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:54 AM

Another guy and myself spent several hours on a cross country flight trying to fix an aircrew member's laptop (the touchpad didn't work).

Just before we landed, we accidentally hit the unlabeled "touchpad on/off" switch and were amazed by our success! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users