Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to do a clean install when you've lost all installation disks

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 michellepace

michellepace

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:23 AM

Hi there,

I would like to do a complete clean install of my Windows 7 machine. The problem is that I have lost all my installation discs for various drivers (graphics card, motherboard, and whatever other installation disks).

The only info I have on what hardware my PC is using is in the attached invoice. I can download the Windows 7 installation file easily enough. But for everything else, how do I go about finding what drivers I need for my clean install?

Thanks

Michelle

Edited by michellepace, 15 March 2018 - 02:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:39 AM

Yes you can download Win 7 and install , if you have a Product Key { Sticker } and Activate.

You can visit the Hardware Vendor of Motherboard to install all Drivers Required from their Website.

Enter the Make and Model / Select Operating System - Win 7 / 32bit - 64bit  on the Website and follow their Instructions etc.

Or if you still need assistance in that , Post Make and Model here , for others to assist further.

Edited by Havachat, 15 March 2018 - 02:40 AM.

#3 michellepace

michellepace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:11 AM

Thanks Havachat. But more than anything what I am asking is - what other drivers do I need to be aware of? Obviously there's my graphics card. But anything else?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:47 AM

If an OEM (HP, Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc.) system...the drivers for your system can be found at the manufacturer's website.

If a self-built or other system...the drivers for the motherboard may be found at the motherboard manufacturer's website.

If you installed a graphics card or other component in a self-built system...the drivers may be found at the card manufacturer's website.

Generally, all of the above can be downloaded and installed once Windows is running and network connectivity is established.

Louis

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:58 AM

Out of curiosity is your system a store bought OEM system from a major manufacturer (Dell, HP, IBM, etc.) or something put together from components?

Is the system functional/bootable now?

Where (easily enough) do you expect to download the Windows 7 installation file?

Once Windows has been installed you might be able to get the system on the Internet where you can download device drivers and you might not be able to get on the Internet.

If you know a few details of the hardware you could from a working system download the Ethernet/LAN driver beforehand and save it on something like a USB thumb drive for when you need it, then when you get the system on the Internet you can get the other drivers you need from the hardware manufacturers WWW site (never from Windows Update).

Or when Windows is installed download the (at least) the network drivers to a working system, copy it to a USB thumb drive and use Sneakernet to apply it to the new installation.

If the system is bootable now do this so we can see what you have:

What is your system make and model or is it something assembled from separately purchased components?

If the system is a Dell what is the Service Tag Number?
If the system is an HP what is the serial number?
If the system is an Toshiba what is the serial number?

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here in your next reply.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 michellepace

michellepace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:06 AM

Thank-you for your replies:

• Yes, my PC is bootable now - I simple want a nice clean install
  • Not OEM bought - it was built using the hardware as shown in the attached invoice
  • I've also appended the output from msinfo32 below

Do I need to obtain any other installation files / drivers other than Windows 7, motherboard driver and graphics card driver?

OS Name	Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version	6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description 	Not Available
OS Manufacturer	Microsoft Corporation
System Name	TRADE-PC
System Manufacturer	System manufacturer
System Model	System Product Name
System Type	x64-based PC
Processor	Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date	American Megatrends Inc. 0405, 2015/08/31
SMBIOS Version	3.0
Windows Directory	C:\Windows
System Directory	C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device	\Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale	United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer	Version = "6.1.7601.24059"
User Name	TRADE-PC\MP
Time Zone	Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)	32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory	31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory	27.3 GB
Total Virtual Memory	63.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory	58.0 GB
Page File Space	31.9 GB
Page File	C:\pagefile.sys

Thanks again,

Michelle

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,187 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:54 AM

Since your system is NOT an an OEM system and if you have your 25 character Windows Product Key you can download your Windows 7 installation ISO from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Note:  That link will not allow downloading of Windows 7 installation ISOs using OEM product keys - only Retail and System Builder keys will work there.

The msinfo32 is fine except it does not reveal the motherboard manufacturer which will tell you where you need to get things like chipset, network, video, audio, etc. drivers.

Let's do something else to tell us the needed information.

Download, install and launch the free version of Speccy from this link (you can uninstall it later if it is your desire):

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

Launch Speccy and wait for it to finish analyzing.

Click File, Publish Snapshot, Yes then Copy to Clipboard which copies the link to the Windows clipboard:

Then you can close Speccy.

In your next reply, press Ctrl-V to paste the link to the snapshot details.

Note:  We have yet to see an attached invoice but that may not be needed.

Edited by joseibarra, 15 March 2018 - 05:55 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#8 michellepace

michellepace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:03 AM

The msinfo32 is fine except it does not reveal the motherboard manufacturer which will tell you where you need to get things like chipset, network, video, audio, etc. drivers. Let's do something else to tell us the needed information. Download, install and launch the free version of Speccy from this link (you can uninstall it later if it is your desire): https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

Note:  We have yet to see an attached invoice but that may not be needed.

Hi Josei, thanks again for your reply. I keep trying to attach the invoice and I keep assuming it has worked - sorry! I've definitely attached it this time - is there enough info here or do I need install Speccy?

Attached Files

Edited by michellepace, 15 March 2018 - 06:04 AM.

#9 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:33 AM

You can find the drivers for your motherboard from Asus here:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/B150-PRO-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

You'll need the Chipset, Sata, USB, LAN, Audio You won't need the VGA driver because you have a PNY video card

Install the Chipset driver first

You need to read the set up guide for Windows 7 here;

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/B150-PRO-GAMING/HelpDesk_Manual/

If you can find the disk that came with the motherboard, it'll really help you with installing the usb 3.0/3.1 drivers. Windows 7 does not natively support usb 3.0/3.1 drivers.

You can get your Quadro NVS 150 video driver here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

You might need to find your wireless card manufacture and model number by looking inside your case on the card itself or by using the hardware ID numbers after you get Windows 7 Pro installed

The manual for your motherboard also provides help for installing the usb drivers for Windows 7

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/B150_PRO_GAMING/E10940_B150_PRO_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf?_ga=2.13276852.2019166510.1521112782-1552628201.1519567724 

You may have to install your USB 3.0/3.1 drivers manually by putting the .inf files on a usb drive and choosing the F6 option during the install, and then pointing to the files on the usb drive. I recently installed Windows 7 on an Asus B250 board but I had the motherboard disk which made it much easier

Edit: I found this under the "Utilities" download:

Version 1.02.07 2016/03/078.37 MBytes

Use this tool to create a Windows 7 installation file with USB 3.0 drivers preloaded for 100 series motherboards.

Try that if you can not find the motherboard disk

Edited by Joe C, 15 March 2018 - 07:29 AM.

#10 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:35 AM

Do I need to obtain any other installation files / drivers other than Windows 7, motherboard driver and graphics card driver

don't worry about drivers until AFTER you do the install,

after the install of Win 7 is complete go into device manager and see what drivers are missing.....

then you can go download the ones you need

#11 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,187 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:47 AM

That should be about every thing you need.

Since the system is running now and it would not hurt to publish the Speccy snapshot of the functional configuration in case you need help later we'll have something to reference.

#12 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:02 AM

Without 3.0 and 3.1 USB drivers(XHCI on new motherboards.. IE: series 100 and up), the OP will soon discover that neither the keyboard or mouse will work with Windows 7, which makes the install useless  ... duh

Edited by Joe C, 15 March 2018 - 08:09 AM.

#13 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:08 AM

Without 3.0 and 3.1 USB drivers(XHCI on new motherboards), the OP will soon discover that neither the keyboard or mouse will work, which makes the install useless  ... duh

i have never once in my life encountered such a problem.....

i have loaded windows thousands of times....pretty much on a daily basis....i have never had a USB port not working

#14 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:11 AM

Obviously, you have not tried to install Windows 7 on any type of newer motherboard (that require xhci usb drivers)

If the OP were to install Windows 8.1 or 10.... this would not be an issue

Edited by Joe C, 15 March 2018 - 08:13 AM.

#15 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:15 AM

Obviously, you have not tried to install Windows 7 on any type of newer motherboard (that require xhci usb drivers)

If the OP were to install Windows 8.1 or 10.... this would not be an issue

a keyboard and mouse would still work.....how do you install a driver before the OS?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users