Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Manager not working correctly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mredbour

mredbour

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:57 PM

Hey guys!

new to BC, but been working with computers since Middle School. I also have my ITE certs from CISCO, so don't be afraid to get technical with me. (I'm also a student developer, just not usually on Windows...)

I'm at a loss with this problem. Windows Task Manager is misbehaving. Task Manager identifies 50% RAM usage (8.1/16GB) - but won't identify correctly what is using that RAM. Specifically, I have a Virtual machine running (Usually CentOS, but I do have a Win X VM.) which is set for 2 Cores & 4GB of RAM. When any VM runs, my host machine will not identify the process using that RAM. VirtualBox isn't the only program to do this. For example, my Windows X VM by default runs 1.2GB RAM usage. Host machines reports 94MB. The difference between the two highest processes is 1.4GB and 94MB. I have had issues with some games doing it as well. (ARK:SE has previously had issues).

Host machine (also Win 10) was just reinstalled following an... unfortunate mishap in a live environment. (Haha - I still laugh at that mess up. That's for Reddit though, not BC)

I've taken 2 screenshots of my Processes tab (sorted by RAM usage highest to lowest) and my Performance tab. I've tallied the number of processes and added all the values together under RAM. Doesn't even touch 8GB.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:06 PM

This is a great tool to show you all your ram usage

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rammap

#3 mredbour

mredbour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:27 PM

Hi dmccoyks,

RamMap does not function either.

Check out this screenshot I took.

https://imgur.com/a/BWgL9

VBox according to host is using only 0.1GB RAM, but Task Manager in the VM says 1.4GB in use?

#4 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:07 PM

Sorry I cannot see your image it is to small and blurry. What do you mean rammap doesnt function? How about trying Process Explorer or process monitor then?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users