Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure why my hard drive is so full

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tomatetoro

tomatetoro

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:09 PM

Hi,

I got a notice on my computer that I was running out of space and had only 50mb left (I know, pretty bad..hadn't checked in a while), and so I cleaned it up a bit. However, after running WinDirStat and cleaning what I could, I have still 271.9gb in use out of 445. WinDirStat shows that I have Users taking up 73gb and my computer setup user as 87gb, which is odd because when I go through my Users, it's just using my administrator account to shortcut to my files. It's hard to explain so I'll add an image: 

a0f704a46f8471256ef6247e618f6717.png

It looks to me like I have double of my personal files but I'm not sure, is it supposed to be like that and I'm overthinking it? 

Running on a 64-bit 4gb RAM HP 15 Notebook PC if it matters 

Ty!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:31 PM

Can you explain what you mean when you say "users?" Is this like a guest wifi account? Also knowing your computer secs would help a lot.

Edited by HyperHenry, 14 March 2018 - 09:32 PM.

#3 tomatetoro

tomatetoro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:39 PM

Can you explain what you mean when you say "users?" Is this like a guest wifi account? Also knowing your computer secs would help a lot.

Users as in the folder named users in the photo I posted. In the folder is a user folder called Haru, it's my administrator account, and inside the folder it contains the documents that are in a folder going by my real name from when I first installed the computer (because my computer goes by Haru/Real Name I guess?) which is why it's blacked out for privacy reasons. There are no other accounts on the computer. 

Also the specs were posted below the photo, but: 64-bit x64 processor 4gb RAM HP 15 Notebook PC , processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU N2830 @ 2.16GHz 

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:55 PM

I'm still a bit confused. Please download Speccy. It may give some insight to what may be happening.

Please Download Speccy by Piriform

• Please download Speccy System Information Tool and save it to somewhere convenient such as your desktop.
  • Close any programs that may be running including your browser and double click Speccy.exe to run the tool.
  • Watch out for any offers to install other programs such as google chrome and untick the box(es) if you don't want them.
  • Speccy will very quickly scan your pc and create a report.
  • Top left of screen click file and select Publish Snapshot...
  • Click Yes to proceed.
  • Copy the URL to your clipboard and paste it into your next reply.

#5 IttechGyan

IttechGyan

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:43 AM

I hope this help :lmao:

Removing older System Restore points can save you a few Gigabits. Run Windows Disk Cleanup for all users, click on the More Options tab and hit the System Restore, Cleanup button. What a minute and then hit OK. This will remove un-needed Restore points but save recent.

#6 sophiewilson0191

sophiewilson0191

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:21 PM

Have you tried emptying the recycle bin?

Better delete some old files or left over folders and files.

#7 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:18 PM

This program will help to show you exactly what is taking up your space

https://filehippo.com/download_windirstat/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users