Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet cuts out only when playing League of Legends, Paladins or using a VPN

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 crash3339

crash3339

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:04 PM

This problem only appeared around a week ago, and I have made no changes to hardware or wifi location. 

What happens is that after a few minutes of running either the above 3 programs (for around 10 seconds to 5 minutes), my internet will disconnect. This instantly kicks me out of the game (or stops the VPN), and prevents all internet access for around 30 seconds. I have seen many articles from people with similar problems, but mine seems to appear across these 3 programs, so I feel like the problem isn't related to the programs themselves.

(Just to clarify, the problem with the two games appears while on AND off the VPN)

This problem never occurs when doing simple google searches or while watching youtube/netflix.

I don't believe my wifi is to blame, as I use university wifi, which seems to work perfectly for my roomates and while I am on the phone. To reiterate, this problem only appears while I'm playing a game or using a vpn.

I have tried using the following cmd prompts:
ipconfig/release
ipconfig/renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset c:\tcp.txt
netsh winsock reset

I've seen no change.
I also tried going into my network settings and trying to update them, or affect power management (which doesn't appear). This also hasn't changed anything

I'm using Windows 10 Pro and my laptop has the following specs:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.70GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00GB (7.89 GB Usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:41 PM

Please try these two things. Unplug the modem/router for 30 seconds. Unplug computer, remove battery if a laptop, hold the power button for 30 seconds. plug and restart both and see what happens. As far as your internet, are you on AT&T and in the south?

#3 crash3339

crash3339
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:20 PM

I'm afraid I have no access to the modem/router as it is owned by the uni (For clarification, I live on campus, and essentially leech off their wifi). I have tried the other instructions, but I'm still seeing the same problem I'm afraid. Internet wise, I'm in australia.

#4 Chertoff

Chertoff

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:25 AM

Possibly seems as if too much traffic can't be handled by your modem and hence it cuts, not sure tho.

#5 crash3339

crash3339
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

I'm not sure, since this problem only appeared ~2 weeks ago. Plus all my roomates, who use the same wifi, don't have any similar problems.

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:14 AM

I live on campus, and essentially leech off their wifi.

This called stealing. You can't expect a good signal when you're leeching someone else's wifi. It's also against forum rules.

#7 crash3339

crash3339
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:02 PM

It was a figure of speech. All accomodations run by unis provide access to their wifi as part of the package. It is both ID and password locked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users