Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Every 6 years or so I have to do a clean install....

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DPaulku

DPaulku

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:53 PM

I'm so confused as to where to start... I've done some searching here with related key words, but they're so many and general that I'm getting nowhere.

Clean install, win7/pro, SSD... there were others.

Here's my story.

A physical failure on my 6 year old Seagate 2T drive, containing OS and some 778gb of master field recorded audio files and some concert image files, resulted in a clean room recovery. I know, I know...

I've picked up an adequate Samsung SSD drive, a new OS license / install disk and a replacement 2T WD black HDD. My aim and expectation was that I could pop the SSD into my SATA III "cloning" disc docking unit, read the install disc on my Win7/pro laptop, direct the install to the SSD and eventually be able to resurrect my system.

Well the SSD was visible in this chain but was Unallocated when viewed in Disk Manager... then it got late.

I looked for a format option by clicking the appropriate drive item, but saw nothing. I'm going to head home now, from work, and revisit that business and perhaps see the necessary clickage.

I thought I'd lay this out now and hope that someone with more recent experience with this process can tell me where my thinking and methods are wrong. Kind assistance thereafter will be rewarded.

Tanks.

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:11 PM

There are some things that are not clear - what computer is this, not the laptop you mention?

My aim and expectation was that I could pop the SSD into my SATA III "cloning" disc docking unit, read the install disc on my Win7/pro laptop, direct the install to the SSD and eventually be able to resurrect my system.

Why? Put the SSD in the computer it's going to be used in and install there. Windows has to be set up for the computer it's going to be used in, the hardware configuration is discovered by the installer as it goes. Once Windows is successfully installed and updated, fit the WD black, format it as desired and install software, transfer backed up data files etc.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 DPaulku

DPaulku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:37 PM

Home again and here you are!

Indeed, the laptop is not the failed system.

I must be getting old... So if I can boot from the OS install disk and see an unallocated SSD, I should be good to go?  Seems catch 22'ish to me for some reason. I shouldn't try to format it first?

Well, all I needed was a little nudge in the right direction... Install is progressing on the afflicted machine so soon enough I get to face the various software re-installs. 

Thanks for being patient. 

Edited by DPaulku, 14 March 2018 - 08:11 PM.

#4 DPaulku

DPaulku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:34 PM

Well this is interesting. I buy a fresh Win7/pro OS pack... and CAN'T FIND THE BLEEPING PRODUCT CODE!!!  (see what I did there? ;-)  )

No 25 character string on the blue sealed disc sleeve or the outer product delivery packaging.

Oh! it's tiny little text under a lotto scratch off Mask on a "COA" label.  My God do they make it hard.

I think I'm good now.  Sorry for the WOBW

Edited by DPaulku, 14 March 2018 - 09:10 PM.

#5 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:49 PM

You didn't buy it from a well known auction site did you? Yes, i see what you did there.

#6 DPaulku

DPaulku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:12 PM

Ha, no. Picked it off the rack myself and let the man carry it to the check out.

Take care

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:07 AM

Glad it worked!
Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 DPaulku

DPaulku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

well, another day another headache.

Two things are starting to become a problem.  It seems like every file I restore from the recovery HDD is either read only or it becomes so once it hits its new home. I can't seem for the life of me correct this. I've tried several times to change permissions via the Properties | Securities dialog. I'm the only log in and the first user name that the install process saw. I enter the correct password to open windows each time... Hey, it's me! Let me delete some files or something!!!

I think this is what's getting in my way when trying to load apps. It sees a read only tag and wants to open or write some temp file and errors out.

Any thoughts on this permissions change SNAFU?

... The other thing is... oh, heck. This is enough for now.

TIA

Edited by DPaulku, 17 March 2018 - 12:30 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:09 AM

If you are getting read only errors and not access denied errors then check if the drive is set for read only . If it does then clear the read only attribute of the drive. Make sure you select the correct disk.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2011/06/02/my-disk-is-read-only-help/

#10 DPaulku

DPaulku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:55 AM

Thanks John

I'm a little puzzled. I ran the diskpart tool in Command and the disks I have "in the box" all show NO for the Read-Only State and the Read-only. The only difference in any of  the disks inspected is that my new SSD boot drive is correctly identified and has the Crashdump Disk set to YES.  One at a time, I fired up three USB drives and ran the same tool; all showed NO for read-only status.

Oddly enough, all but one of the drives processed indicated 0 B free, while two of them have * under GpT column heading.

Should I go ahead and try to set the read status to NO even though it says NO now?

This is quite frustrating since I have yet ahead of me the process of synching my DropBox folder to my cloud account... It can only get worse, right? ;-)

Edited by DPaulku, 17 March 2018 - 12:41 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:37 PM

No, resetting the status to No would not help. If you right click on any folder in the drive with problems and select Properties is the Read Only box checked?

#12 DPaulku

DPaulku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:50 PM

No, resetting the status to No would not help. If you right click on any folder in the drive with problems and select Properties is the Read Only box checked?

Yes

#13 DPaulku

DPaulku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:15 AM

Well this is interesting... Brought to light by some taper geeks over at Taperssection.com

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/326549/you-cannot-view-or-change-the-read-only-or-the-system-attributes-of-fo

According to MS, FOLDER permissions default to Read-Only and are cosmetic for most of what a person tries to do.  Yeah, well, I guess I'll know if that's true going forward.  I'm still not 100% convinced.

I'm wondering if there isn't something tied to differences between a 2013 vintage OS installed as OEM with the machine and the "flavor"of the Win7/pro that I had to buy recently. (There are subtle differences that I see in the GUI but I'm not sure if that's evolutionary or if I'm seeing settings that I never implemented before.)  'Beyond my pay grade and if so, it seems I've followed this situation straight down a rabbit hole.

Thanks all... so far.

Edited by DPaulku, 18 March 2018 - 08:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users