Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly freezes for 0.5 sec (Windows 10 - SSD)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kyriuch

kyriuch

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:54 PM

Hello. So I've searched web all the way through and still didn't find the solution. The problem is, when I play games, no matter what games, my computer randomly gets frozen for like 0.5-1s and then it's all ok after the freeze. It sometimes freezes every 2 minutes, sometimes 10 minutes, no strong rule. I've set my hard disk drive to never turn off, I've downloaded some SSD software from Intel to optimize it, I've set the bios so that it never tries to save energy and should always provide power and I have no idea why this happens.

My setup:
cpu: i5-7600k
gpu: gtx 1060 6gb
power supply: aerokcas-600
ram: hyperx 2x 8gb (3000MHz CL15, no paging file on purpose coz of big ram, paging file doesn't help)
ssd: Intel SSD 530 Series 120GB (system disk)
hdd: some WD 1TB
motherboard: gigabyte z270 k3 gaming

Maybe someone can help me. Is my power supply not sufficient? Or maybe is my SSD dying? I have no idea. I will run any test that is needed to investigate this problem.

Edited by kyriuch, 14 March 2018 - 06:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:04 PM

I recommend running the following utilities as the first step.

Stress Test Your CPU - Prime 95

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16474-prime95-stress-test-your-cpu.html

Select the Blended Test

Record maximum temperatures and duration of testing.

Best to test > 3 hrs and abort testing as needed for freezing, temperature changes, etc

Please use the Microsoft snipping tool to post images to your reply

Stress Test GPU - FurMark

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/13081-furmark-gpu-stress-test.html

Make note of the importance of temperature monitoring and aborting the test in the GPU link

Test for approx 1 hour

Please use the Microsoft snipping tool to post images to your reply

#3 kyriuch

kyriuch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

Hey. Thank you for the reply dmyccoyks. So I did all the tests, unfortunetaly FurMark only for 10 minutes but it was all alright and the temperature stopped at 73. I had some problems with Prime95 tests so I tuned down my CPU from 4.6 to 4.2 and did a 3 hours test. Here are the results: https://imgur.com/a/tS2n8

I think it's all good, but even though I tuned down the CPU, freezing still occurs BUUUUT I found one thing. I have two displays and I always play games on a fullscreen. I played one game today and normal behaviour when you have two displays is that you would have to minimize the game in order to see mouse on a second dispaly (or at least go to menu). When game froze to me today for another 0.5s I was currently pushing mouse to the left (where my second display is) and I saw a mouse there on a freeze, it was moving. So it seems like my game somehow loses Windows focus for 0.5s, minimizes and then maximizes itself or something like that. Is that possible? How to test it?

#4 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• 818 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:03 PM

Sorry for the delay, I did not receive a reply message on this post. That sounds like it could be the issue of losing focus. Is that the only time you are noticing it loses focus. I am not sure how you would go about testing that further. I guess we could try performing those steps and capturing a log with Process Monitor to help find the issue. Although it seems like a very minor issue. Have you installed the latest driver from Nvidia website and tested it?

#5 kyriuch

kyriuch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:09 PM

Great you replied again because I may have some further informations. I recorded how these freezes look like and here's the video: 

I guess that's not CPU related since capturing software could record the freeze? I also wrote a simple program that would tell me the actual focused application and there was only csgo when freeze occured.

I today unplugged my SSD disk and am doing further testing on HDD, hope this will help, but nothing sure yet.

#6 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• 818 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:25 PM

I am not a gamer, However. I would recommend installing process explorer and keeping it running while playing to give you a good idea of what all is going on. You can set it to replace your task manager as well.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Edited by dmccoyks, 19 March 2018 - 06:25 PM.

#7 kyriuch

kyriuch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:31 PM

Hi again. So I finally find a reason for these freezes. I have used a software called UIforETW, this program records all the activity on computer (CPU, GPU, Storage and so on) and can run infinitly due to a circular buffer. When something weird occurs, you just stop recording and save your scores to a file and if you open it you see a lot of informations. And in the software I found that one process was causing a freeze. Game process CPU usage went down from 70% to 2% while the freeze occured and disk usage went from around 0% to 100%. The process was called msmpeng.exe. I've done a research and it turned out that this is a Windows Defender Antymalware software. I turned it off and voila, everything works fine.

SHORT SOLUTION DESCRIPTION:

- used software called UIforETW

- found out that process msmpeng.exe caused freezes

- got rid of this process (in this case I turned off Windows defender and turned off antymalware software in taskschd.msc)

Thank you all for the help.

#8 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• 818 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:37 PM

I am glad you found the cause, but you need an AV for protection and usually Windows Defender is what I recommend for Windows 10 because it usually uses the less resources. You might try reinstalling and see if it is any better.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:29 PM

Please do the following to provide us with the current version of the latest update that was installed.

To determine which version and build of Windows 10 you are running press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png, type in winver and press Enter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 kyriuch

kyriuch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:35 PM

It is version 1709. (Compilation 16299.309)

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users