Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trouble idenifying mobo for BIOS upgrade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mistermagoo

mistermagoo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:26 PM

Hello -

As part of troubleshooting random BSOD/rebooting, I'm looking for some help confirming that I have the correct BIOS upgrade for my system.

Following this guide I have identified my mobo as a rampage v extreme.  So I went to the ASUS website and grabbed v.3801 of the BIOS.

However, after flashing the BIOS to v.3801 (seemingly successfully), I came across a previous email from my PC manufacturer's tech support where they mentioned that the mobo is actually the rampage v extreme/u3.1.  The extreme/u3.1 seems to have a different set of downloads with latest BIOS v.3701.

So my question is how can I confirm which is correct?

A few screenshots are attached.

Any help much appreciated.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

If you want to be absolutely sure, just pop off the side cover and look on the board itself. It'll give you the model number and revision number printed right on the board

#3 mistermagoo

mistermagoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:27 PM

Joe C: thanks for the reply.  Good call.  I popped the case open and the board says rampage v extreme rev 1.01.

Then I thought to go out to the asus website and look for other visual indicators of which board is which.  From comparing the images of the extreme vs the extreme/u3.1, the boards themselves appear to be identical.  The only difference that I see is the the extreme/u3.1 is bundled with a separate usb3.1 expansion card.  I don't see that installed by the manufacturer, and unfortunately I know longer know if it shipped to me with the system or not.

I'm feeling pretty sure but wish there was a more definitive way to be sure.  I'd hate to run the wrong BIOS.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,580 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:39 PM

version 3801 looks like the newest...which i believe is what you already have.....

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREME/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Edited by mikey11, 14 March 2018 - 02:42 PM.

#5 mistermagoo

mistermagoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:17 PM

Mikey11: Thanks for replying.  Yeah, v.3801 is the latest for the extreme, but 3701 is the latest for the extreme/u3.1.  If they are the same mobo (as I suspect), I'm not sure why they would have different bios versions.  That makes me wonder if I have the right one installed or not.

Edited by hamluis, 15 March 2018 - 08:13 AM.

#6 mistermagoo

mistermagoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:46 PM

Solved: I went to email Asus tech support to ask this question and after entering my serial number here it confirmed that I have the extreme/U3.1.  I also confirmed with Asus support that the boards are not identical (not the same card plus or minus the bundled usb3.1 expansion card), so the bios versions should not be swapped.

Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users