Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 Repair / Reinstall and SSD issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shoany

Shoany

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:01 PM

Hi all,
  My computer got unplugged while on, and it started going through a chkdsk loop on startup. I let it run overnight, at which point it went BSOD on me in the morning (kernal data error). All day now I've been trying to figure it out... here's what I know:
- Win10 will boot, but hitch and some applications won't run at all (like Chrome)
- Crystal Disk has my SSD at 97% health with 45 retired blocks
- Event Viewer showed some warnings for retired blocks
- I bought a USB Key to make a bootable, but the Media Creation app threw an error partway through the process of writing
- I then downloaded the Windows ISO through the Media Creation app and attempted to use Rufus to mount it to the key
- Rufus threw an error immediately saying the key was write protected
- I attempted using both windows GUI format and command line readonly removal / clean / format, and neither worked (the latter mentioned I/O errors but nothing else)
- As far as I can tell the USB Key is now bricked
Does anyone have any ideas? If 45 blocks retired is a dealbreaker I can buy a new SSD, but what I'd like to do is just install windows on my HDD for now... but all the usual methods of doing that are not working, and I'm worried that if I keep buying USB Keys I'll keep bricking them.
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,643 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:20 PM

In regards to the bricked USB flash drive do the following.

Open a command prompt. Type the following commands

diskpart

list disk

select disk X        Where X is the number associated with the USB flash drive. Be very sure you have the correct number as the next step wipes the drive.

clean

create partition primary

format fs=fat32 quick

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/format-usb-flash-drive-using-cmd.html  

The above guide shows a file system of ntfs. You can use format fs=ntfs quick if you wish.

Download and run Gsmartcontrol. Run the short and long tests on the SSD.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 March 2018 - 01:20 PM.

#3 Shoany

Shoany
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:01 PM

​

I had tried diskpart already. It works through until clean (i also removed readonly), then when i go to create the partition it says there isn't room (it's a 7gb stick).
gsmartcontrol short test agrees that i'm in good health ssd wise, even though I have 45 retired blocks.
running long test now.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,643 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:17 PM

Use Partition Wizard to partition and format the USB flash drive. Select Delete All Partitions. Then Create a new Primary Partition. If you cannot Delete All Partitions then Wipe the flash drive first.

All steps are virtual and will not complete unless Apply is clicked. This lets you back out of any mistakes.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 March 2018 - 02:17 PM.

#5 Shoany

Shoany
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

Thanks. Partition wizard confirms that the stick is read-only and thus doesn't let me perform anything on it.

I previously put in the regedit entry for WriteProtect 0 for storage devices... but that didn't work.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,643 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:46 PM

If a stick marks itself read only it's done. The only thing that would bring it back would be a firmware flash and finding firmware for any flash drive is hard. Best just to bin it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users