Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plagued by sudden restarts and power issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 radicalenzyme

radicalenzyme

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:00 PM

I have been plagued by sudden restarts of my system for over a year and it is just getting worse. No blue screen and in event viewer i just get a generic Kernel-Power error (all BugcheckCode values are 0) it just restarts It used to happen with mostly very GPU demanding games so i suspected it was just my GPU overheating. And the temps on my 780 under full load got in the high 80s and if not for my system restarting i was sure it would go even higher (My new 1070 has never gone over 70 during full load still restarts so not a overheating issue). after capping my frame rate with RTSS lowering settings and keeping and eye at all times on my GPU temps i was able to reduce the problem at the time but it would still happen from time to time sometimes even when i was just watching a video. It also often happens 5 minutes after i am done playing a game and just browsing the web which seems to indicate it has trouble adjusting the power down or something?

Usually, it restarts in a second but sometimes it takes up to 30 mins for it to reboot again. (no fans spinning just seems dead then it eventually wakes from the dead) I suspect it's waiting for the capacitors to discharge. After the pc has been off for the night it can also takes 15-30 mins for it to power on (usually not when it's hibernating just when i turn it off) so I'm not so sure what that's about.

It has gotten worse recently and I'm pretty clueless about this stuff and i dont trust my own assessment if i buy a new PSU it will be a downgrade from what i had so i really would greatly appreciate a second opinion. Could it be caused by a faulty motherboard? Or do you guys think its pretty safe to assume its the PSU? I dont have a spare one to try.

The pc is also pretty clean as i dust it off often. I also have checked that there is nothing loose.

Some info from HWmonitor taken mid match in PUBG (it rebooted 10-15 mins later during the end game)

3.36 Volts [0xD2] (AVCC)
3.34 Volts [0xD1] (3VCC)
1.17 Volts [0x92] (CPU VCORE)
1.76 Volts [0x6E] (VCCIN)
1.49 Volts [0x5D] (DRAM)
10.91 Volts [0x7C] (+12V) Seems way too low not sure if accurate 
4.96 Volts [0x7C] (+5V)
26 degC (78 degF) [0x1A] (SYSTIN)
32 degC (89 degF) [0x20] (TMPIN3)
127 degC (260 degF) [0x7F] (TMPIN5)  This never changes its always 127 im 
guessing its a incorrect reading
26 degC (78 degF) [0x1A] (TMPIN6)
1.05 Volts [0x41A] (GPU)
35 degC (95 degF) (Package)
29 degC (84 degF) (Core #0)
33 degC (91 degF) (Core #2)
31 degC (87 degF) (Core #4)
30 degC (86 degF) (Core #6)
1.05 Volts [0x41A] (GPU)
101.28 pc (GPU)
48 degC (118 degF) [0x30] (GPU)

System:
MSI gaming z97
i5
gtx 1070
Corsair RM850 ( psu)
16 gigs of ram
haf xm (case)
NH-D14 (cpu cooler)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:43 AM

"Usually, it restarts in a second but sometimes it takes up to 30 mins for it to reboot again. (no fans spinning just seems dead then it eventually wakes from the dead) I suspect it's waiting for the capacitors to discharge. After the pc has been off for the night it can also takes 15-30 mins for it to power on (usually not when it's hibernating just when i turn it off) so I'm not so sure what that's about."

or waiting for temps to cool down, if your power supply is not supplying the correct voltages (lower voltages) it will increase the current draw causing more heat and the power supply could be going into a current overload protection shutdown mode.

and if your system shuts down it has to wait for temps to be in an ok range that 's being monitored, and being that the fans are not spinning to help cool things off.  you end up waiting for heat to dissipate on it's own.  that's why it's takes up to 30 min before it starts up again.

replace your power supply  10.9v volts on your 12v line is a killer and your probably doing more damage running your system like this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users