Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Linux on a new drive with other OS drives removed

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:54 AM

I intend to install Linux Mint on a new hard drive (probably SSD). Currently I have two disks on my system, one with Vista and one with Windows 7. No dual boot. I am just selecting the drive in boot options (F12) and booting into the related OS.

I want to have the same way after installing Linux Mint. First I'll remove the other drives before connecting the third one to my system in order to install Linux on it.

I am not experienced in Linux. Would it harm my other OS's (Vista and Windows 7) already installed on seperate drives? I mean, creating a triple boot on its own (when other OS's detected) or changing files or folders in Vista or Windows 7 etc.

Thanks in advance.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:51 AM

No if the other drives are disconnected Mint will not interfere with them, however you will have to pull off some tricks here and there.

Firstly you would have to ensure that the disk with linux on it will be the primary boot drive  with the other drives made secondary

secondary you would need to enter this command in linux mint in a terminal:

sudo update-grub

grub is the linux mint boot loader, doing this command will update it to detect windows.

But you could just leave your windows drives connected, just make sure to jot down what drive is what by its model number.

If they are all the same then i say you should disconnect the drives.

Keeping note on what your drives aere labeled is the best way to ensure you dont accidentally nuke windows.

You would have to use Linux mints manual installation method here but its not that hard to use, and you should learn partitioning anyhow as it can come in handy as a linux user.

Linux has the ability to be split into different partitions for your drive, meaning your personal data would be separate from the OS, very handy if you had to reinstall linux for any reason.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:27 AM

Thanks MadmanRB. But I didn't understand completely.

I will disconnect the other drives before installing Linux Mint on a third one and connect them back when installation is completed. So I would have three drives: 500GB HDD Samsung with Vista, 120GB SSD Samsung with Windows 7 (see my signature) and probably a 120GB SSD Intel 320 with Linux Mint.

Why should I let Linux detect the Vista and Windows 7 by running the command you wrote? Isn't it better not to do so because I'll select the OS I want to boot into in boot options (BIOS screen). Vista if 500 GB drive selected, Windows 7 if the SSD selected and Linux if the new Intel.

Wouldn't it work this way?

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,157 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:53 AM

Actually it's much easier to let the bootloader do the job for you especially in the triple boot scenario you. And do understand that Linux will detect drives differently than Windows as it has its own labeling system independent for Microsoft Windows. Instead of using drives labeled a b and c it has its own way of doing things

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,976 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:37 PM

Why can't devilus just to it the way he's been doing it? this is they way he is most comfortable at the moment.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:47 AM

Thanks.

Is there a way to prevent Linux Mint automounting my Windows drives right after installing? Before reconnecting my other two drives?

Selective boot (F12):

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,976 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:33 AM

I have never done this but these directions seem to be correct to me.  Fortunately I've never had a problem messing up my Windows Drive while Dual Booting.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:13 AM

I have never done this but these directions seem to be correct to me.  Fortunately I've never had a problem messing up my Windows Drive while Dual Booting.

Thanks pcpunk. I already found and read this post while googling today. If I didn't misunderstand it, because of my poor english, it's a workaround when Linux already has detected the Windows drives. Am I wrong?

However I'll try and learn it when having enough time. Thanks again.

Selective boot (F12):

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,976 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:20 AM

I don't know if I would call it a "work around" because this is what linux is designed to do.  It would be a permanent way of keeping Linux from mounting the Windows partitions you want it too.

Someone here will be able to help you when you get the output of "sudo blkid" and describe which OS you don't want to mount.  Paste that output into a Code Block < > that you will see at the top of  your post, right under the Smiley Face Emoticon.

Edited by pcpunk, 17 March 2018 - 10:43 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:42 AM

Well. Linux Mint 18.3 64bit installation was successfull. No conflicts with Windows drives. No changes in Boot Manager/Boot Loader. Still using F12 boot options menu to select the OS drive. I'm happy for now. Hope it remains that way. :thumbup2:

Selective boot (F12):

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:12 AM

Well. Linux Mint 18.3 64bit installation was successfull. No conflicts with Windows drives. No changes in Boot Manager/Boot Loader. Still using F12 boot options menu to select the OS drive. I'm happy for now. Hope it remains that way. :thumbup2:

Congrats on the successful install! :thumbup2:

However & the sooner the better, you need to learn & apply the workaround that pcpunk provided. Otherwise, when certain Linux Mint (or any Linux) updates are completed, especially kernel upgrades, it's going to run 'sudo update-grub' by default & you'll end up with a full fledged triple boot system. So the sooner you implement the fix, the better. Until you do, don't install any new kernel upgrades, these can be deselected, will be a Level 5 update that has three packages. Nor Grub or Linux firmware updates. This isn't to be considered a complete list, there may be others that'll trigger Grub to update.

Just wanted to give you a heads up before this happens.

Good Luck with Linux Mint! :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 26 March 2018 - 04:15 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:26 AM

Congrats on the successful install! :thumbup2:

However & the sooner the better, you need to learn & apply the workaround that pcpunk provided. Otherwise, when certain Linux Mint (or any Linux) updates are completed, especially kernel upgrades, it's going to run 'sudo update-grub' by default & you'll end up with a full fledged triple boot system. So the sooner you implement the fix, the better. Until you do, don't install any new kernel upgrades, these can be deselected, will be a Level 5 update that has three packages. Nor Grub or Linux firmware updates. This isn't to be considered a complete list, there may be others that'll trigger Grub to update.

Just wanted to give you a heads up before this happens.

Good Luck with Linux Mint! :)

Cat

I think I've already disabled the automatic updates. Thanks for the important warning. :thumbup2: :thumbup2:

(Should I start another topic for that?)

Selective boot (F12):

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 04:54 AM

It's actually part of the setup process, and is relevant to this Topic, so OK to discuss here. :)

Oh, and there's no auto updating with Linux, must be manually ran. When you do, there's an icon on the Taskbar, when all is up to date, there's a green check. When one is needed, will be blue with a exclamation mark inside. That's when you need to run the update by clicking onto the icon, not to worry, you can still select those to install.  

Skip the Level 5 updates, some may trigger the updating of Grub. Once the fix is done, then can upgrade everything that needs it. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:13 AM

It's actually part of the setup process, and is relevant to this Topic, so OK to discuss here. :)

Oh, and there's no auto updating with Linux, must be manually ran. When you do, there's an icon on the Taskbar, when all is up to date, there's a green check. When one is needed, will be blue with a exclamation mark inside. That's when you need to run the update by clicking onto the icon, not to worry, you can still select those to install.  

Skip the Level 5 updates, some may trigger the updating of Grub. Once the fix is done, then can upgrade everything that needs it. :)

Cat

Levels 3,4 and 5 are already deselected. There is only one Level 1 update displaying on the taskbar: mint-upgrade-info 1.1.1. And I don't know what that means. :)

Selective boot (F12):

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 26 March 2018 - 06:31 AM

this is for  'updating the updater'........the actual mechanism that updates the Operating System and all its attendant files etc.

Being a level 1...no impact on the system or other applications.....install it.

Click on 'install updates'....you will be prompted for your password......fill it in......then click authenticate (or just hit enter).....a few seconds later it will be all over.

It really is a painless experience. you can trust the 'levels"

I use 'Timeshift' .....which is already on your LM 18.3.....(click on menu, type in timeshift....hit enter).....it works in a similar fashion to system restore on windows....only better.

Timeshift...

Click on menu and type in ...   Timeshift

you will be asked/prompted for your password.....type it in....you will see NO responss on the screen...hit enter after typing it and Timeshift will open

Click on    Settings

If you have more than one hard drive connected they will show here

select the one you wish to save your backup to....then click on     close.  ((You can save it to the same hardrive/ssd the OS is on. It makes better sense to save it to another hdd/ssd in my opinion. If you dont have another hdd/sdd installed you can always do that later....put it on the list of things to do. (yes...keep a list)....or if you have an external hard drive which you can connect via usb, plug it in....close timehsift and then open it again...it will recognise the added drive))

You will now be back at the main window of Timeshift

Click on      Create

Timeshift will simply start making a snapshot of your system as it is right now. It will save that snapshot to the spot you chose.

Simple. (and it works)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users