Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No video output on M2N-SLI Deluxe -> Troubleshooting -> Now Works..Why?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Parzival

Parzival

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:22 AM

Video output stopped working (80% of the time intermittently) and I couldn't tell why due to no on board sound ( no boot beeps ).

M2N-SLI Deluxe has no on sboard video.

Noticed the CMOS battery was weak, replaced it.

I tried all the components with known good working components and everything seemed to work fine.

Put PC back together in case with one stick of RAM ( instead of 4 ) and it seems to work fine. Have rebooted 10x with no issues ( 1 ram stick).

I'm not sure what to do now.  Do I test each ram stick?  How?  What was the problem/why is it now working?

Thank you.

Original Hardware in case used(purchased from Newegg):

Edited by Parzival, 14 March 2018 - 02:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:43 AM

I have a similar board M2N32 SLI Deluxe  on a destop never had an issue with anything.

Mine does Post Beeps.

You can try each Ram Module or throw em all in and see what happens.

Bit hard to say why it works now and to give an answer , its more when things dont work that suggestions can be made.

We normally dont reply if you have a Post running elsewhere.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:59 PM

you pulled the battery and your defaul setting probably changed, in your bios settings you should have options for either load default settings or load optimal settings, i would do the optimal settings first then put all your ram back in and try booting.  if that doesn't work then load default setting and try again.

#4 Parzival

Parzival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:15 PM

**SOLVED**

Tried each ram module one by one as suggested and found that one stick is dead.  Do I just throw it away? Is there a way to test it further?  When using that one stick there is absolutely no video feed. I have run MemTest86 on each of the other three sticks one-by-one a few passes each and no errors but since there is no feed I can't test the bad stick.

Works 100% of the time now.  It seems to run fine with the other three sticks only.  Should I worry about not pairing them correctly as this is only a spare computer, not used for anything intensive, just web browsing at the moment.

Thank you Havachat!

Cheers

Edited by Parzival, 23 April 2018 - 12:18 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:53 PM

According to the last of your links in #1 you had 4 x 1GB sticks of RAM and you are now down to three. It will run quite happily on three, it may be a little slower but you say it is spare computer not used for anything heavy so any difference should be very small or unnoticeable.

Yes, just throw the dead one away, RAM sticks are not repairable. I did notice this paragraph on the Newegg page -

Memory. Until it stops working, it's not very exciting, and when it does stop working, it's all the wrong kind of excitement, right? So, we're not going to try to get you excited about memory; we're just going to say that this is a good buy and you ought to consider it for your machine. It has an aluminum heat spreader and a LIFETIME warranty for parts and labor, both to protect your investment in what we sincerely hope will be one of the dullest, most matter of fact purchases you ever make.

If you are feeling either cheeky or optimistic you might consider taking this up with Newegg !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 835 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2018 - 06:45 PM

Newegg usually only offers a 30 day warranty but Patriot does offer a lifetime warranty on your memory. You can contact Patriot at this email address, explain what our issue is and where you bought it.

http://rma@patriotmem.com

I have ran an RMA with Patriot on some memory that I had in the past, they wanted all the modules that came with the kit (ie; 2x4gb or whatever) Even though one module was bad. Took me a couple weeks and they did not have the same memory in stock so I got something different, This was several years ago so I can not recall what it was

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users