Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled windows 7 on Compaq cq2000, Now drivers won't work.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jsmyth259

jsmyth259

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:35 AM

Hi Guys,

I hope you can help me, I was recently given an old Compaq CQ2000 with a dead hard drive.
I replaced the hard drive and reinstalled windows.

I installed the same version of windows that was previously installed on the machine. I installed it from an ISO mounted to a usb. ( windows 7 32bit)
I then went to the HP/Compaq website and looked the machine up so i could download all of the necessary drivers.

Here is the page with the drivers.
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/compaq-cq2000-desktop-pc-series/3832626

I put them on another USB then tried to install them on the CQ2000 but i keep getting the following error while installing the network driver and some others.

https://imgur.com/2UYkpbB

Here are the other ones that i couldn't install.

https://imgur.com/JuHuiiJ

Any help or insight would be very much appreciated.

Thank you
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:36 AM

Which of the drivers are you installing?

The device manager suggests the support chipset drivers (which would normally be installed first up) haven't been installed (from the Driver-Original section). If the set of drivers provided in that section are not being used, that could explain the Realtek Network Controller error, as the original driver is for an Atheros Network Controller. It looks like there may have been a mid-production change to the hardware complement on the mainboards for that system. If your system has the original board, you could be trying to install the wrong drivers.

Edit: Just noticed you said a 32 bit installation, for which the supplied drivers are slightly different. You're quite sure the Windows installed was 32 bit? With 4GB of RAM installed, it could happily run 64 bit Windows.

It seems odd that only the 64 bit drivers include a driver for Atheros LAN and Intel Support Chipset.

Edited by Platypus, 14 March 2018 - 02:05 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 jsmyth259

jsmyth259
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:50 AM

Which of the drivers are you installing?

The device manager suggests the support chipset drivers (which would normally be installed first up) haven't been installed (from the Driver-Original section). If the set of drivers provided in that section are not being used, that could explain the Realtek Network Controller error, as the original driver is for an Atheros Network Controller. It looks like there may have been a mid-production change to the hardware complement on the mainboards for that system. If your system has the original board, you could be trying to install the wrong drivers.

thank you very much for the swift reply I really appreciate you helping me.

I never knew there was a set order that i had to install the drivers. this could be the problem.
I just tried to install them in the order that they downloaded.

when i go to the windows 7 32bit option for the drivers I don't see any for the chipset I only see graphics, keyboard and sound?

I might reinstall the OS again but this time I'll use the 64bit version as it seems to have more original drivers listed than the 32bit version.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:54 AM

You sure it had Windows 7 Ultimate as the Original System. ??

Check the Hardware Id for each in its Properties / Details / and 2nd Drop Down " Hardware Ids " and google that for the Driver.

#5 jsmyth259

jsmyth259
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:00 AM

You sure it had Windows 7 Ultimate as the Original System. ??

Check the Hardware Id for each in its Properties / Details / and 2nd Drop Down " Hardware Ids " and google that for the Driver. it

thanks for the reply mate, this has been really annoying me this last couple of days.

It had windows 7 home premium, will me installing ultimate make the drivers not work? I just assumed that as long as it was windows 7 32/64 bit then the drivers would of worked.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,411 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:01 AM

I never knew there was a set order that i had to install the drivers. this could be the problem.

It doesn't always matter, but it can cause subsequent driver installations to fail if they depend on a resource that has not become available due to lack of the chipset driver.

As Havachat says, you can work out if the wrong driver seems to be the problem by right clicking on the Ethernet Controller in Device manager, selecting Properties, and in the Details tab, choose Hardware IDs in the Property dropdown. If the values start with PCI\VEN_1969, then it is an Atheros LAN, and needs the driver that only seems to come with the 64 bit set.

Edited by Platypus, 14 March 2018 - 02:06 AM.

#7 jsmyth259

jsmyth259
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:07 AM

I think I might have made a mistake with installing the 32 bit version, I'm going to install the 64 bit version and start again, I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes.

thanks again guys

#8 jsmyth259

jsmyth259
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:46 AM

I installed the 64bit version and downloaded all the drivers from the Driver - original section, I first installed the chipset driver and it installed perfect first time, so did a couple of others. but the Atheros LAN driver Or the Realtek network driver won't install it comes up with the same error message saying that it doesn't meet system requirements.

The device manager only has to exclamation marks now, both of which are network related.

I've just seen your other replies about the hardware ID i'll try that just now!

thanks again guys

#9 jsmyth259

jsmyth259
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:19 AM

It doesn't always matter, but it can cause subsequent driver installations to fail if they depend on a resource that has not become available due to lack of the chipset driver.

As Havachat says, you can work out if the wrong driver seems to be the problem by right clicking on the Ethernet Controller in Device manager, selecting Properties, and in the Details tab, choose Hardware IDs in the Property dropdown. If the values start with PCI\VEN_1969, then it is an Atheros LAN, and needs the driver that only seems to come with the 64 bit set.

I followed the steps,

https://imgur.com/5LYwuhp
https://imgur.com/hVTR9uy
https://imgur.com/nX9oK37

The Atheros driver on the 64bit  original driver section from the HP/Compaq website is just coming up with the same error as before even though most of the other drivers have installed OK,
When i google the hardware ID I can't find version for HP/compaq.

The hardware ID is:

PCI\Ven_1969&dev_2062&rev_c1

Edited by jsmyth259, 14 March 2018 - 03:23 AM.

#10 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:06 AM

Try this Page for the Network Driver if thats what your after , it should detect your OS 32/64bit { did 4 me }.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/compaq-cq2000-desktop-pc-series/3832626

#11 jsmyth259

jsmyth259
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:14 AM

Try this Page for the Network Driver if thats what your after , it should detect your OS 32/64bit { did 4 me }.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/compaq-cq2000-desktop-pc-series/3832626

Thanks mate but i linked that page on my first post, I can't get them to work. When i try to install either the Realtek or the Atheros LAN drivers i get the same error. also I can't access that page on the PC I'm trying fix, because I can't get online as it has no network drivers. I'm having to download them on my main PC, put them on a USB then transfer them that way.

thanks again for trying to help me

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,411 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:42 AM

Are you getting the exact same "Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update" error for both driver packages?

That can happen if the required .NET Framework is not installed. Can you check in the Microsoft section of Programs and Features in Control Panel and confirm the .NET Framework version shown?

#13 jsmyth259

jsmyth259
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:05 AM

the version installed is 3.5.1, what version should be installed?

**EDIT sorry yes i'm getting the same system requirement error as before.

Edited by jsmyth259, 14 March 2018 - 05:26 AM.

#14 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:09 AM

Sorry for the Link you allready posted ....

Continue with Platypus first and his Prognosis , im running 4.6.1 { 2015 }.

I found this Link when installing Win 7 on a Original Win 8 Machine.

Worked for this other person , maybe worth a try ???.

On the "HERE"

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archive-Read-Only/Network-drivers/m-p/3827426/highlight/true#M139387

Edited by Havachat, 14 March 2018 - 05:13 AM.

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,411 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:22 AM

As long as it's there, that's the expected version. The only .NET it doesn't cover is 1.x, I suppose there's a slight possibility the drivers are badly written and demand .NET 1.1 or something, but that's a long shot.

The LAN looks to be Atheros AR8152, so it's possible we may be able to find an alternative installation package that can be safely downloaded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users