Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on Automatic Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 docbadwrench

docbadwrench

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:03 PM

The Problem

A few months ago, my [Dell Pre-built] Win 10 PC was prompted to automatically install a Windows update. At this time, I had updates set to manually install.

However, after that update, my PC began to update, got to about 25% and then segued straight into one of those newfangled Win 10 BSOD error.  The stop code: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. I rebooted. Then again with the error. On the third attempt, Windows had the good sense to revert.

I've been building and/or using PC's most of my life and this was actually new. I'd never had a standard Windows Update on a pre-built machine immediately tank.

I wish I'd kept notes on that original error. I looked online, found a handful of people who had the same issue, and then learned that I could just temporarily tell Windows to not update the particular package. I used the Windows 10 Update Assistant.

Problem solved. Until this morning. I woke to find that Windows was just about ready to reboot and install the update. Without thinking (and because it'd been so long), I just allowed the update to happen. But then our pal BSOD returned. Again, on the third attempt it reverted.

I ended up going through that yet again when I wasn't able to disable the Windows Update process (stop it from Autostarting and Disable if possible). But then, after that I now have an out-of-date-but-actually-usable machine.

Data I've Collected So Far

I searched the web for the least obviously spyware looking advice I could find and avoided any dumb site that told me I need to download some custom tool. I found a link to this page and followed some of the advice.

First, I ran SFC Scanner (sfc/scannow at command prompt) and it got the whole way through the scan. In the end, I received the only solid bit of data that alludes to a direct problem:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.

This log-file is included with this post. At least there's something to point at, right? I don't know how to read those things, but I'm pretty sure the phrase "Primitive installers committed for repair" shouldn't appear like a million times in that logfile.

I continued by running the Windows Memory Diagnostic and, after a reboot and running the thing and then returning me to Windows, it told me there were no problems.

Next I started Windows Defender and ran a full scan. After a marathon three hours of that, I got the all clear. No problems found.

After that, I skipped other things on that URL above. Defragging the registry is not the problem. That said, I sure don't know what the problem is outside the barest outlines.

Here's what I attached:

Any help would be much appreciated. For now, I'm just remaining vigilant and keeping Windows Update disabled. But that is clearly not a long-term strategy. Especially since, every day since, it keeps happening, no matter how much I manually stop it. Eventually, a day later, it'll just pop right back on and the cycle begins again.

This bites.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:12 PM

Ok. Scannow ran and found some errors...Please go back into CMD (Command Prompt) ((run as ADMINISTRATOR)) and type:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Then...run sfc /scannow..... again.

#3 docbadwrench

docbadwrench
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:16 PM

Thanks Mason21. I followed those instructions. And the dism thing definitely did put back some files. And running sfc /scannow again confirmed that there were corrupted files that were replaced.

However, when I went through the Windows Update process, the same problem manifested. :(

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:44 AM

Hi, those web sites, like the one you reference, really want to sell you something, it is highly unlikely anything is wrong with your memory, Memory management has nothing to do with the RAM, it refers to the on board processor chip, that is the memory controller since you have a Dell you most likely have an Intel processor and it runs the Intel Management Engine (ME).

There were some problems with a specific update, and intel, some time ago. This indicates you may have two problems, an update in a "staged" condition, and the need to update your CPU drivers, (try their site).

Before we get too involved can you confirm you have an intel processor.

#5 docbadwrench

docbadwrench
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:46 AM

I'm sure my RAM is fine. I only mean that the BSOD error itself identifies MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. I realize that could be anything.

But I have a vague recollection of an update such as you mentioned so I'm going to be hyper-aggressive this evening in ID'ing any outdated drivers, particularly on the mobo.

I have a thorough MS-thread here, too. Thanks again! Good avenue of investigation.

Edited by docbadwrench, 14 March 2018 - 10:48 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:56 AM

What version of Windows 10 do you have installed.  To determine which version and build of Windows 10 you are running press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png, type in winver and press Enter.

To see what Windows updates you have installed or failed to install open the Control Panel, click/tap on Programs and Features

In the upper left portion of the page you will see View installed updates, click/tap on this to view the installed updates.  This will also show any failed installations of updates.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:03 PM

Hi, updating the system drivers is a good idea, Dc3's suggestion to run winver will reveal what version you currently have. Updating may fix most of your problems. Problem is, it most likely will continue to give you problems,doing this.

I have attached a method to remove problem updates, that works (actually it is the only way to do this effectively), since a registry change is needed. Unfortunately it is not uploaded to the net, and does not copy paste well into some (this being one) forums.

Open the attached word.doc (for backwards compatibility) Read carefully, this method has been thoroughly tested and does always work. 

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users