Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Need help getting rid of what I suspect to be a rootkit.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CherryWaffle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:17 PM

For around 2 months my computer's been acting up and for the past few weeks I've occasionally found some of my desktop things in the recycle bin.  In things like Steam and Discord my friends were unfriended and my account was tampered with.  This was very annoying and suspicious but nothing too bad. 

However when I got home from school today, it was definitely the worst day so far.  My desktops icons were moved around (some gone), more of my friends were unfriended (which is odd because I have changed my password and added a mobile authenticator to them like a week or two ago),  but most annoying of all, almost all of my recently played games were deleted.  

I've ran Malwarebytes and AVG but neither of them say anything is wrong but I know there is.  Whatever is doing it is getting more aggressive and I've decided to seek help here.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post moved from Windows 10 support to Am I infected.

Edited by NickAu, 13 March 2018 - 08:26 PM.
Mod Edit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CherryWaffle

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:01 PM

Well, now my chrome bookmarks are all gone, and my games are still being constantly deleted.  At this point I'm willing to completely reset my computer as non of the methods I tried worked, and none of my software can detect anything wrong.

#3 boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,475 posts
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:31 AM

Hello, you're choice. That may be the quickest method, but if you want us to clean it you need to repost. Do steps 6 & 7.

Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users