Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did I make a poor purchase choice?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 PianoMan55

PianoMan55

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:08 PM

I have been using an HP 8000 Elite for 4 years and has been a good one, but it recently started doing weird things. Malwarebytes said it looked like time for a new one. a lot of red flags in the Event Viewer, and none of my installed programs, such as Malwarebytes and HitManPro would not connect to internet, but I could go to Chrome with no problems. There were some unexplainable registry problems as well. That's way over my head.

I found an HP Pavilion 510 P010Z at an affordable price (refurbished) at Walmart.com. I have several TVs, PCs, and other electronics I have bought refurbished from Them with no problems. When I unpacked it just now, it is very small in size, but has 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD, 2.2Gz, AMD A8-7410 Quad Core. It is 64 bit with Win10 Home, but I have a Win 10 Pro install disk and will install it.

The main thing it is used for is in my small recording studio using PreSonus Studio One 2. So with that in mind I need the larger RAM in order to  cut down on latency problems when recording. I think the thing that made me think, "Whoa dude, this thing is so small is it gonna cut it for what I need.?" I know size means nothing, so it is a mental thing. 

There is only one HDD SATA slot, where the 8000 has 2, the second of which is dedicated for the PreSonus mixdowns and masters. I have a 1TB Seagate external that I can use to replace that 2nd internal drive.

The only real problem is that it only has 6 USB ports and I need 8. Can you recommend a good, reliable hub for the other 2 ports, 2.0 or 3.0.

Does anyone foresee any problems I may have with this Pavilion? Like I say, it is probably just a mental thing (bigger is better fallacy), but for some unknown reason I am second guessing myself. (Hope this isn't too long; i tend to get a little wordy sometimes). Thanks for any suggestions.  This is my first time on your site and forum.

Edited by PianoMan55, 13 March 2018 - 07:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:18 PM

Yeah you may have made a blunder, especially if it only has one sata port inside.

I understand money can be tight but your cost cutting may have given you a very poor machine.

And actually size can matter a lot actually.

I am not saying you need a computer the size of a room but there are drawbacks to small form factor PC's such as the amount of hard drives you can pop inside them and what you can get to upgrade it.

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 March 2018 - 07:26 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#3 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:39 PM

@MadmanRB - As far as a Pavilion is concerned, and staying with HP, is there a better choice?  Or just use this one for just -in-case-BU and buy one that is not SFF and has more bells and whistles? The main thing for me is, why buy a new one at a higher price when I can get a fairly recent model refurbished for a whole lot cheaper. There are several Pavilion models on the Walmart site, but it seems that it is more difficult to find a newer one with Multiple SATA ports and 10 USBs like my 8000. From what I've read everyone seems to trying to get rid of local storage and pushing these Clouds that are "out there somewhere", and that's why I do not use them. I have 3 externals Velcroed to the side of my PC plus a couple of flash drives. Oh yeah, one thing I liked about it is wireless and Bluetooth. It will work with my smart TV and phone. (I could not figure out how to reply directly to your reply. Simple things confound me sometimes)

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:57 PM

Well i am not saying you need a $20,000 super machine or anything either.

But HP's desktops have taken a downturn as of late thus why you may wish to invest in another brand.

Or learn how to build your own.

I could suggest something better and newer for under $500 and you can use this one for a media center PC or something.

I am not saying you should do it rigfht now but i do have some suggestions all pre built that would be better for you.

I mean there is this Acer:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073YHNPC6/ref=psdc_13896597011_t2_B019TTJD6O

Or its cheaper version:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Desktop-i3-7100-Windows-TC-780-ACKi3/dp/B071DM6TWM/ref=pd_sim_147_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B071DM6TWM&pd_rd_r=8TCHH5H9D32Y5JMWF4J6&pd_rd_w=GIcVq&pd_rd_wg=gtH2A&psc=1&refRID=8TCHH5H9D32Y5JMWF4J6

If going refurbisherd to save money there is this too:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-Computer-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B078JFYJ31/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&srs=2529253011&ie=UTF8&qid=1520988833&sr=1-1&refinements=p_36%3A2421880011

There is nothing worse then impulse buying and brand loyalty, doing your homework is always best.

Now granted yhou mentioned wal mart but buying online may be the better option for a desktop as walmart never really has the best desktops.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#5 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:53 PM

Does a Dell, Acer, or any other , except Apple, function just like an HP
I mean, Win 10 Pro works the same on any brand??? Never used any other brand.

While I am looking for something better, what drawbacks can I expect from the Pavilion. All the PCs I've had were SFF and because I don't know the differences, have always worked well for me. Huh!! I may have been missing out on something good and didn't know it.
My experience with computers was the days of Cobal, Fortran, and TI assembly language. At the start of the Internet and the PC revolution I was in areas of the globe that make 3rd world countries look upper middle class. So I've had to cram 19 years of the PC goings-on into the past 6 years, and I still have not caught up. So some of my questions may sound very niaive and elementary.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:59 PM

Yes brand is ambiguous.

Windows works the same across all computers, yes even on a Mac.

Heck I have my own custom PC and windows runs fine on there.

As for drawbacks as i said the severe lack of Sata ports here is a big one, it prevents you from adding more hard drives without having a hard drive splitter but that is useless without the space inside for another drive.

They really lack expandibility too, I mean I understand why you got it as its cheaper to buy small form factor but there are drawbacks to them.

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 March 2018 - 09:12 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#7 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:15 PM

@MadmanRB - As far as a Pavilion is concerned, and staying with HP, is there a better choice?  Or just use this one for just -in-case-BU and buy one that is not SFF and has more bells and whistles? The main thing for me is, why buy a new one at a higher price when I can get a fairly recent model refurbished for a whole lot cheaper. There are several Pavilion models on the Walmart site, but it seems that it is more difficult to find a newer one with Multiple SATA ports and 10 USBs like my 8000. From what I've read everyone seems to trying to get rid of local storage and pushing these Clouds that are "out there somewhere", and that's why I do not use them. I have 3 externals Velcroed to the side of my PC plus a couple of flash drives. Oh yeah, one thing I liked about it is wireless and Bluetooth. It will work with my smart TV and phone. (I could not figure out how to reply directly to your reply. Simple things confound me sometimes)

Yes..building your own custom PC would be a better choice because of the ability to choose quality parts.

#8 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:44 AM

@Madman - I decided to go somewhat higher in price and found several Pavilions, the new price being in the $700-$900 range. These are full towers, the smallest being 15.7" tall. Is this larger tower thing deceptive, or would I be better off spending $475 for an $855 refurbished unit, for example. because of health my future us uncertain, but I do not want thr,prognosis. I just go on like I have another 50 years left. So, the heck with the cost. Can't take it with me. Whatta you think? I can always,use the 3 external SSD I have and buy a USB hub. I printed out 6 or 7 Pavilions to compare them. I won't even think about that kind of impositionice by attaching them. I still have most of my rational thinking left, for now.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:04 AM

Eh again why limit yourself to HP?

there are so many options for you and well around the $300-700 mark.

And from companies i feel are better than HP in the current market.

I dont know what was the last time when you got from a non HP but times have changed.

Dell is better these days, Lenovo is too.

The you got acer (which really have become good budget machines as of late) and then there are machines you can build in your own.

Now if you want to spend $700 that is up to you, I know one or two deskops unter that prrice that deliver a lot of bang for the but and not from HP

Take this dell here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZZF7FY/ref=s9_acsd_zgift_hd_bw_bFAShhT_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-11&pf_rd_r=T9Y1VS47Y3VQXMXN3K7W&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=88579e3a-0ba6-5e41-bf48-6670e38532ae&pf_rd_i=13896597011

That is a great pre built right there under $700

For your needs you can go cheaper but its there if you want it, its your money after all.

If it was me and I wanted something better than what you have without killing my bank account that acer i referred to is darn good, both versions

Edited by MadmanRB, 14 March 2018 - 01:09 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#10 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:12 AM

You're right. I will take a broad look at the market. I've been a Chevy man since high school in 1966 and for no really good reason just always gravitate to all things Chevy. I guess it's mind over matter, but now that i've lost my mind, I guess it don't matter. Hey man, I sure appreciate,you tolerating all theae posts,and replies. Tells me a lot of good about you. Thanks for your patience and help !!!!

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:18 AM

No problem, I mean its not like the machine you have now is totally terrible but you could have done better if you did some shopping around.

And yes just like Chevy HP has had its fare share of issues lately, its company really suffering because it didnt enter the smartphone market.

Granted desktops have been making a comeback lately but most among gamers and gamers tend to build their own.

Dell only sticks around because of their laptops which are top notch these days.

Lenovo does tablets and laptops

But HP has had severe setbacks and near bankruptcy.

They are barely alive these days and QC has really dropped as of late.

Edited by MadmanRB, 14 March 2018 - 01:19 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#12 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:56 AM

@MadmanRB - I looked at the Acer and it think it is a good choice (I mean, whatta I know? My degree is from Whattsamatta U). What I have been using is Quad Core and this is Dual Core. Wil that make a difference in using the PreSonus Studio One 2 recording software. If not, I will orer it ASAP.Best i've found for the price, except the Dual Core question.

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:36 AM

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-7100-vs-AMD-A8-7410-APU-2015-MCa/3891vsm33754

This is a comparison between your current processor and the i3

The AMD A8-7410 is actually a pretty poor processor.

It may be quad core but it loses out due to the way it is designed

That is because the A8 is based on AMD's Bulldozer/Pilediver line of processors.

These processors while not bad but were severe under performers compared to their Intel counterparts.

Thet often ran hot, ran slow and with bad power consumption to boot.

It all goes down to the way they were manufactured.

Luckily AMD learned from thier mistake as now with Ryzen AMD is really knocking it out of the park for performance per dollar.

The i3 is far newer, far faster and offers great performance for such a cheap processor.

But if you are worried about core count then the i5 model will be better, its another $100 yes but it will pay off as the i5 model has more ram and more hard drive space too.

A very good thing to have.

That machine should last a very long time, 7th gen intel is still very good in performance as processors are not getting the huge boosts like they used to.

Edited by MadmanRB, 17 March 2018 - 11:38 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#14 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:27 PM

Didn't really comprehend a lot of the stuff, but enough to see that the i3 is far better. I'll buy it and give it a test drive. Appreciate your help on this and the advice. Thanks, Larry

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:45 PM

Indeed but to have a good reference point to What's Happening Here I can give you a example of why this i3 is better than what you have.

Your AMD A8 processor is more like a bus yes it has several advantages like the ability to take on more passengers but if it's one thing that we know about buses is that they are slow. The Intel core i3 is more like a speedy Roadster, even though it doesn't have as much seating as the bus does it certainly is faster. The core i5 that I referenced is actually more like a minivan and it has the advantages of both being both very fast and offering good carrying capacity

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users