Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe Not Loading Everytime

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 soccerdudemulder

soccerdudemulder

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:58 PM

More times than not when I load up windows the explorer.exe does not show up on my screen. When I go to the task manager and look under processes, it says its running but nothing shows up. When I run a new process, I run explorer.exe and then end the explorer.exe that was running when I started and only then will the desktop show up. Also when this happens none of my startup items load either. Just wondering what I can do to fix this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:21 PM

1)Do you know exactly when this problem began.

2) Do you have a Windows XP Installation CD?

#3 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:56 PM

More times than not when I load up windows the explorer.exe does not show up on my screen. When I go to the task manager and look under processes, it says its running but nothing shows up. When I run a new process, I run explorer.exe and then end the explorer.exe that was running when I started and only then will the desktop show up. Also when this happens none of my startup items load either. Just wondering what I can do to fix this.

I had this problem once and it was the result of malware. I would suggest downloading and running Adaware and Spybot Search And Destroy.

#4 soccerdudemulder

soccerdudemulder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:46 PM

I don't know when the problem occured exactly, if i had to guess it would have happened within the last 4 months.

I do have a copy of the windows installation cd.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:41 AM

Replace corrupted or missing Windows system files:
Start > Run > type " sfc /scannow " (without the quotes)

You might need your original XP disk that came with the computer or the Windows Installation CD with which you installed Windows on THIS computer .

It may take a half hour or possibly longer while Windows scans and replaces any Windows files that may be corrupted, defective or missing.
When the process completes, remove the Windows system disk and reboot.

The above is not supposed to affect your data or settings on your computer, but backing up your data before using scannow or any other repair is always suggested.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:35 PM

Don't forget to visit Windows Update after running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW.

Also, try this free, online scan. It also scans your registry. http://safety.live.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 soccerdudemulder

soccerdudemulder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:27 AM

I've done the above...now??

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:57 AM

Did it resolve the issue?

#9 soccerdudemulder

soccerdudemulder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:14 PM

After I posted the last message, I turned it off for the night. Now, this morning it still didn't resolve the issue.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:23 PM

Windows One Care Free Scan

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download an Active X component.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite a while, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

#11 soccerdudemulder

soccerdudemulder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:07 AM

The issue is still not fixed.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:08 PM

If the scan came up clean, then it may be time to try a repair install of XP. Here's a link: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 soccerdudemulder

soccerdudemulder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:03 PM

Is really the last resort? its running under my processes, but not showing up on the desktop.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:08 PM

Try one more thing first:

Sfc /scannow

Start -> Run and type in
cmd

Then, in the black box that appears (DOS emulator), type

sfc /scannow

Make sure that you leave a space between the sfc and the /.

When prompted put the Windows CD in the drive.

Windows will then check that all operating system files are in place and original.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:35 AM

No, it's not the last resort. A repair installation of XP will retain your programs and settings while reinstalling all of the system files (not just the protected ones that SFC.EXE does).

The step after the repair install would be a clean install of XP (and a complete format of your hard drive) - that would destroy all your programs and data.

And the last resort is....a sledgehammer! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users