Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inspiron 15 laptop has clicking noises on boot up

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:22 PM

I am working on my daughter's inspiron 15-3521.  Her son was doing a report in Word and saved it and shut it down..It has not booted since.

specs = originally Win 8 updated to 10 home, 6 gb ram, i5 processor, 500 gb hd,

When it sits idle unplugged overnight and you turn it on it just is unresponsive.  It will go into bios and stays on for at least 30 minutes.  If I re-boot, I am getting a fairly loud click followed by 3 slightly subdued clicks.  The pattern continues.

What I have done:

I suspected the HD so I removed it and tried to boot...same clicking,  removed the optical drive...same results.  I can't tell where the clicking is coming from.

I tried the F12 when booting and ran the diagnostics.  It passed everything until the stress test and then it went dead again during that test.

I don't think anyone has changed any bios settings.  I set it to default values.  It is UEFI boot, secure boot enabled

I wanted to set it to boot first to optical drive so I could see if it would load my Windows dvd,  but I don't see that option.  I would appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

The only moving part that would make a clicking sound minus the hard drive and optical drive would be the fan. Tapping F12 at boot with the bootable USB or disk in the optical drive will give you a boot menu to select the bootable device. 

Make sure you disable Quickboot/Fastboot in your BIOS settings if you have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEw9Q1UfVv0

#3 zbuster225

zbuster225

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:10 PM

So you're probably not going to believe me, a guy who is new to the forum, but you can confirm this on Google.

There's an old trick that you can do which is to put that drive in a ziplock bag and stick it in the freezer for a couple hours.  Plug it back in while it is still very cold and attempt to get the files as fast as you can.

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:51 PM

So you're probably not going to believe me, a guy who is new to the forum, but you can confirm this on Google.

There's an old trick that you can do which is to put that drive in a ziplock bag and stick it in the freezer for a couple hours.  Plug it back in while it is still very cold and attempt to get the files as fast as you can.

:scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Please post that link.

Edited by The-Toolman, 13 March 2018 - 06:53 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:52 PM

OP stated they removed the HDD and computer still clicked. 

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:47 AM

Loads of google links e.g.

https://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-failed-hard-drive-in-your-freezer-redux

Have done it myself a few years ago. Worked for one drive but not the other one I did.

Probably doesn't apply now as hard drives are built a bit better now (not talking ssd's here)

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:53 AM

Loads of google links e.g.

https://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-failed-hard-drive-in-your-freezer-redux

Have done it myself a few years ago. Worked for one drive but not the other one I did.

Probably doesn't apply now as hard drives are built a bit better now (not talking ssd's here)

Interesting I'm going to test that next time I run across a failed hard drive and see if that really works.

We used to put brand new wheel bearings for the rear wheels in the freezer overnight to shrink them for easier installation into the wheel hubs and that always worked well.

Thanks

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for the replies, however it determined in my original post that the clicking still was present with the HD removed....

JohnC_21,  When I go into the boot manager (F12) I am not seeing the usual boot order selection.  The other options are: diagnostics, enter setup, peripheral device setting (OPROM setting), change boot mode setting

Boot mode setting is currently UEFI secure boot

Not sure what to do next.

I am wondering if the clicking sound could be coming from the speakers???

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:30 AM

Did you see the video I linked to in post #2? You need to change UEFI to Legacy and disable SecureBoot. Coming from the speakers is another possibility but I never experienced it.

#10 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

sorry, I forgot the link...I followed it and changed the settings.  Is that setting the final one to use?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:35 AM

sorry, I forgot the link...I followed it and changed the settings.  Is that setting the final one to use?

Yes, If you want to boot a CD or USB. But, Ubuntu should have booted fine with UEFI enabled and SecureBoot disabled if you set your optical drive or USB to first boot device in your UEFI settings.

#12 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:04 PM

I have found a possible pattern but don't know how to address it.  If I leave the laptop off overnight, it will boot a Windows 19 iso dvd but can't repair the startup (if that is the problem.  when I restart it it starts the clicking again.  It won't start again until the next day or maybe several hours. When I do a F12, i run diagnostics and everything passes until the stress test and then it shuts down. I ran a motherboard test and it passed as well.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:44 PM

Does it sound like it's coming from the Fan area?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlNbETLduVE

#14 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:09 PM

No it doesn't...it sounds loudest behind the memory...kinda hard to tell.  New development...I just ran diagnostics from the F12 key and it went completely through with all pass.  During the testing I did hear a few of the clicking noises again but it did not quit the tests.  After it finished, It asked if you wanted to restart which I selected yes...It booted and showed "getting windows ready" and the did some updates and now it is running.  What the heck to do now??? Can I look in ad tools event viewer and see anything?  I am going to leave it running until I hear from you again...Thanks

BTW, the temp is showing good so I don't think the fan is clogged but I may dismantle later as per the video you sent.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:30 PM

So you still get the clicking sounds after the updates? I have no idea on what you received the Getting Windows Ready update. Sounds like a Windows 10 update downloaded in the background but I thought the HDD was removed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users