I was tasked by my father-in-law to backup his pictures.
In the process, I checked to see what was consuming hard drive space using WinDirStat.
I found 10-11 files in the C:\Windows directory all having 6.2 gb file size.
None of these file display in windows explorer.
They all have weird characters in their name, like logograms.
I was able boot a Linux live drive and delete the files.
Upon booting back into windows, shutting down windows and booting back into Linux, the files were there again but with different characters.
I performed the above 2 times before running AdwCleaner and MBAM which cleaned up PUP files.
I've not seen this before on Windows 7 and can find no information while doing an internet search.
I am looking for assistance in next steps to determine the extent of an infection and steps to resolve.