Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

11 6.2gb files in c:\windows on Windows 7 Home Premium

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jockovonred

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:39 PM

I was tasked by my father-in-law to backup his pictures.

In the process, I checked to see what was consuming hard drive space using WinDirStat.

I found 10-11 files in the C:\Windows directory all having 6.2 gb file size.

None of these file display in windows explorer.

They all have weird characters in their name, like logograms.

I was able boot a Linux live drive and delete the files.

Upon booting back into windows, shutting down windows and booting back into Linux, the files were there again but with different characters.

I performed the above 2 times before running AdwCleaner and MBAM which cleaned up PUP files.

After a third Linux live drive boot, deletion of files, boot into windows, shutdown and Linux live drive boot, it shows the 11 6.2 gb weirdly named files again with different 'characters'.

I've not seen this before on Windows 7 and can find no information while doing an internet search.

I am looking for assistance in next steps to determine the extent of an infection and steps to resolve.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users